Clean Install windows 10 on to new ssd from old hdd

Equilabria

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
Hey, I just bought a new ssd and was wondering if you have to reinstall the drive routines or whatever its called for the motherboard and gpu after following these steps

1. I have a windows 10 in an old Hdd.
2. do a media creation tool to a usb
3. plug in new ssd
4. boot from usb then install windows 10 to the new ssd.
5. after windows 10 is installed in the ssd, you can plug in the old hdd without problems and just wipe it clean to use as storage.

Solution
more than likely yes you will have to install some drivers for your motherboard after the fresh install.

once you have win 10 running, right click the start button and select "device manager". anything with a yellow ! next to it needs to be installed. this is what you need to locate and install drivers for. go to the product page for the motherboard you have and download the drivers for whatever has the yellow ! next to it. or if it is a pre0built system, go to that product page for drivers. (such as dell, hp or other brand. search for your model number under support)

then you're good to go.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
more than likely yes you will have to install some drivers for your motherboard after the fresh install.

once you have win 10 running, right click the start button and select "device manager". anything with a yellow ! next to it needs to be installed. this is what you need to locate and install drivers for. go to the product page for the motherboard you have and download the drivers for whatever has the yellow ! next to it. or if it is a pre0built system, go to that product page for drivers. (such as dell, hp or other brand. search for your model number under support)

then you're good to go.

Solution
My advice would be to grab motherboard drivers before you do the fresh install because you may not have access to the internet otherwise. Usually USB and network drives need to be installed, although windows 10 is really good about setting this up most of the time. But just in case it doesn't, grab before hand and put them on a flash drive.

The alternative would be to clone the drive.