Suddenly my computer runs very slowly

tempacc1234

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
I've had this problem where my computer would randomly shutdown after a couple of minutes of gaming. After more than a week of trying to fix the problem I've concluded this was because of a defective PSU. After I fixed this problem however, a new problem arose. My desktop is now running very slowly like I can't even properly scroll down in Google Chrome. Also I won't get more than 25 fps anymore on game that I used to get 100+ fps on. This happens on both graphically intensive games and very not intensive games.
I've tried clean installing my graphics driver and reverting to an earlier driver but nothing seemed to fix it.
My GPU usage does not got above 35% even on demanding games with the settings turned up. I'm almost 100% sure that it's not using the integrated GPU because the usage does go up when I start a game. I've checked this through MSI Afterburner.
I haven't changed or replaced anything in my computer apart from the power supply. I got the same power supply as the one I had before I got this problem as it was still under warranty.
My GPU temperatures don't exceed 60C under load and my CPU temps don't exceed 52C.

My specs are:
ASRock Z97 Extreme4 motherboard
Intel i5-4690k
Asus STRIX GeForce GTX 970 DC 2OC
Corsair CX750M
HyperX Fury 16GB RAM

tempacc1234

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

I had to return the PSU I just got because it failed after just a few days. It was the last one in stock which means I'll have to wait until it's in stock again before I can test this again. This will take like 4 weeks I heard. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Stackimaginable

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

Hi tempacc1234,
The defective PSU was most likely the problem, not being able to deliver enough power. However make sure there is adequate airflow and cooling in the PC. Even though you said your temps are not sky high, make sure the hot air is being drawn out of the PC. If there's stagnant warm air stuck inside the case, it will hinder your cooler and GPU cooler abilities. If it's getting too hot, it may throttle or shutdown if there's a major thermal event.
Hope this helps.

tempacc1234

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

Okay so update: I got a new PSU but this didn't solve the problem. I've checked the VRMs and they felt like room temperature after about an hour of gaming use. I'm still getting very low fps in games but now my computer itself is also running slowly. All this only happened after my power supply broke and I had to get a new one. I haven't overclocked so I would think that the CPU voltages wouldn't be the cause of the problem. I haven't checked them though. Which program could I use to check them? Or should I just go into the BIOS and check?

tempacc1234

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

I got a new PSU and this hasn't solved the problem. also this problem never occurred prior to the power supply failure. I've checked the temperatures and they aren't very high. Check the reply above this one for some more info.

Stackimaginable

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

Hi again,
Bad luck that the replacement PSU didn't fix your problem. I know this is a long shot, but maybe check just in case, that your GPU clock or vram clock didn't accidentally get turned down in msi afterburner.
Have you also considered the monitor (or whatever your display is) itself could be faulty, not your pc? Maybe try connecting your PC to another display like a TV and see if that solves it. If not, what video connection are you using? Are you using an adapter of some sort? It could be a defective cable. Try to test with other cables/ adapters if at all possible and get back to us.

I hope you have some luck,
Damian

Stackimaginable

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

To be clear, when I said the GPU clock may have been lowered I meant he (or someone) may have lowered it manually by accident. Far fetched I know, but not impossible.

To be clear, I was replying to when OP said "I haven't overclocked so I would think that the CPU voltages wouldn't be the cause of the problem. I haven't checked them though. Which program could I use to check them? Or should I just go into the BIOS and check?"

Stackimaginable

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

My bad. Aida64 is a good bet to reveal any problems with stability issues. However if it doesn't produce anything, do check your monitor. I know it seems far-fetched but, you never know. I had a similar problem where I was getting very low fps, turned out the monitor was defective and it refresh rate had been lowered drastically (That;s what they told me).
Hope you have some luck with both weberdarren's and my suggestions.