Windows 10 very long start up after manual shut down

XGamer_BiH

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Hello everyone,

When I turn off my pc on the power button, or reset is with the reset button (when it freezes), start up is very very very slow, it is about 5 times slower than usual. The start up feels like I have a 1 GHz CPU. But when I turn off the pc normally, from Start. It runs great. Starts up in about 15 secsonds... Any help please?

Solution

Your best bet would probably be to go to one of the "help forums" like the website tenforums for example. You can usually find a place to post a full description of your problem and the forum members will guide you through the steps for how to diagnose your issue. The problem is that there are many possible causes to a hard freeze like you're getting. It could be a number of hardware causes such as bad RAM, bad HDD/SSD, bad power supply, heat, or several other things. It could also be a number of software issues like malware...

sshades

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Windows 8 and 10 have a feature called Fast Startup which you can turn on and off in the power settings. During a normal shutdown, much of the software that is necessary to boot up is left running so that your next boot is much faster than normal. However, by design, when you restart this does not happen, and instead you get a FULL reboot. By the same logic, a "dirty" shutdown does not allow all of that software to get pre-loaded for the next boot, so it will be much slower than normal. There is no real way to fix this, but it's also not unusual if that's what you're worried about.

XGamer_BiH

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Really, data corrption? How am I going to "un-freeze" it? There's only the reset button left. Because sometimes, he totally freezes, can't do anything, mouse, picture... everything freezes..

sshades

Commendable
May 24, 2016

Your best bet would probably be to go to one of the "help forums" like the website tenforums for example. You can usually find a place to post a full description of your problem and the forum members will guide you through the steps for how to diagnose your issue. The problem is that there are many possible causes to a hard freeze like you're getting. It could be a number of hardware causes such as bad RAM, bad HDD/SSD, bad power supply, heat, or several other things. It could also be a number of software issues like malware, incorrect/incompatible drivers, or corrupted system files.

And yeah, if you have any files on your computer that you can't handle losing, it's time to make sure your backups are up to date. The worst case scenario (it's pretty rare) of a bad shutdown is file system corruption on your hard drive which can result in the loss of data.

Solution