Windows 10 Boot Failure 0xc000000e caused by AMD Cool n' Quiet

PaladinGeorge

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Lately my computer has been having trouble booting. I keep getting the above mentioned error 0xc000000e along with the description "The boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors." This began after I tried disabling AMD Cool n' Quiet in my BIOS settings, and none of the Windows tools have been able to fix it. I believe this is caused by incompatibilities between Windows 10 and AMD Cool n' Quiet, and so I am debating on reinstalling Windows 8 (which is what was originally on my computer). Can anyone help?

Solution

Ok forget about wiping the drive.
You need a USB drive that can be wiped. in the process of creating the install media, the...

PaladinGeorge

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

I have already tried this. I went into the BIOS and restored defaults but the problem persisted. I have also tried turning AMD Cool n' Quiet to enabled and auto with no improvements. Thank you for the suggestion though.

The code there of 0xc000000e.

George in fact refers down to the boot device the windows OS is on.
But it also relates or is saying in plain English that boot device cannot be found on the selected port, or interface
Listed in the boot configuration file.

By that it means the Sata interface mode set in the bios is wrong.
Or often set to Sata mode.

Where as setting it to AHCI mode often can cure the problem.

Or when windows was installed if the bios was set to Sata mode.
The Sata driver was not pre loaded before windows started it`s setup and install.

When ever in the bios the Sata ports are set to Sata mode.
At the point where windows setup and install reaches the point where it asks you where, or what hard drive you wish to install windows to.

There is and option to the left side of that part of windows setup in blue writing that says add driver.

What you must do is click on it if sata mode is selected in the bios for sata ports.

Put the driver disk in that came with the motherboard.
And locate the folder with the Sata drivers contained on that disk.
And load them.

Once done the main window of windows setup refreshes.
You then swap the motherboard driver disk, putting the windows setup disk back in the dvd drive and click nect to continue the windows install and setup.

If you change the mode selected in the bios at any time that was selected or set when windows was installed.
By either doing a factory reset of the bios of the motherboard.

You must return the setting to what it was when windows was installed in respect to the mode.

Sata, Ahci, IDE, or Raid mode if origonaly selected or set when windows was installed to a hard disk drive of the system.

If it is changed at any point booting will give you the error of 0xc000000e, device not found on interface mode selected.
Or information set in the boot record for os location, interface selected, or mode set.

Basically set the sata ports of the motherboard to Sata mode.
Save changes see if the drive boots.
If it fails change the mode to Ahci mode save the changes and see if it boots.

and so on. one mode selected will allow the system to boot windows without the error 0xc000000e. George.

PaladinGeorge

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

Phew! Thanks! I'll check out my BIOS settings and go spelunkying for my driver disks, and I'll get back to you later with the results. :)

PaladinGeorge

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

Thank you for the clarification.

Also, when I look at the boot mode select in my mother board I see two settings: Legacy + UEFI and just UEFI. Which should I choose, or should I navigate to other settings?

PaladinGeorge

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

Im sorry, but I am still a little fuzzy on this. When I look at my System Status I see SATA Port 1 - 4 with the first two labeling system devices, and the last two stating "Not present" I'm not sure how to adjust the settings for the SATA ports.

In should be under advnaced setting, Dig through and you'll find it or tell us you MB model.
If you end up reainstalling windows and are also able to wipe the entire drive that you are installing on, i will provide you with instructions for best results.

PaladinGeorge

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

I've been digging for a little while and can't seem to find it. My motherboard is an MSI Military Class 4 A58m-E33

Quick update I found it under intergrated peripherials. It was set to ahci mode so I changed it to IDE. It crashed my computer so I'll play around to find out what works.

This should be similar:

Set "Onchip SATA Type" adn "sata port 5,6" to AHCI or state what options you have.

SATA_port_renaming_2.jpg

Hadn't seen your update. I would put it to AHCI and reinstall. If you are also able to wipe the entire drive that you are installing on, i will provide you with instructions for best results.

PaladinGeorge

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

Alright, thanks! I'm not quite sure how I'll be able to reinstall Windows 10 since I upgraded from 8, but I'm still wondering why the problem began after I adjusted AMD Cool n' Quiet. I tried all available settings for the SATA ports and none of them worked.

A fresh install is a better idea anyway. You can do it as long as you don't change your motherboard. Just skip entering a key if it asks for one as it will auto-activate based on your MB. Upgrading an OS is always a half-a**ed solution.

PaladinGeorge

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

So, should I reinstall using my Windows 8 disk or is there something else I need to do to?

Have an USB drive 8+ gigs ready or a blank DVD and writer, download the Media Creation Tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ and follow the steps to create the bootable media. You will be installing 10 directly.

Are you able to wipe the whole drive you are installing to?(teh drive, not just the C: partition)

PaladinGeorge

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

I'm not sure on how I can wipe my whole drive. Also, are there any extra steps involved in using a USB drive to download windows? And will there be any problems if I try to download windows with other files on my flashdrive? I have some backups on it.

Ok forget about wiping the drive.
You need a USB drive that can be wiped. in the process of creating the install media, the "media creation tool" will format it. So keep you backups away from that!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS