Dell P2214H vs Dell P2217H vs. Other 1080p IPS Adjustable Monitor?

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I am deciding on a secondary 1080p IPS monitor that can pivot into portrait for me, for a low price.
Of course, Dell's Professional line-up are among the only plain monitors out there with an adjustable stand.

I'm torn on deciding to buy the new P2217H for roughly $160, or buy a used/refurbished P2214H for near $100.
Know of another cheaper monitor that may fit the bill?

Would the extra $60, which means 60% more of the price, be worth it for the newer sleeker version?That $100 price tag seems impossible to beat.

Can anyone give a recommendation or comment on the screen quality of both? I've seen a few videos on the P2214H, but haven't seen any examples of the P2217H, and cannot find another direct comparison of the two on the rest of the internet for the life of me.

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated!
Thanks!

Solution

Samat

Distinguished
I have P2414H myself, haven't seen the P2217H, and I'm happy with it. There's some backlight bleed on dark scenes, but not too bad to bother too much. No reviews of this new model available yet, it has USB2/3 ports and a new panel compared to the older model.

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Yeah, it's the new panel idea that sorta intrigues me. Surpisingly, it seems the P2214H covers 85% color gamut, but the new one only covers 82%??? Wish there were more comparison's available. It's just a secondary monitor I'll be using in portrait, so getting a P2214H for roughly $100 is a fantastic deal, but I would like to see if 2 year in advanced image quality would be worth another $60

Samat

Distinguished

Depends what you do with it, for regular use you propably won't notice the difference in color coverage. Hard to say without reviews if the image quality is any better on the new model. Buying new you get a full warranty though, how is it on the used/refurbished?

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I think just 90 days with Dell refurbished.
It's even cheaper used if I want to risk used
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00EMB4L0I/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_size_name=1

Samat

Distinguished

Ok, monitors seem to last pretty well if they are not DOA or come with bad pixels so you would propably do fine with a refurbished.

Solution