Moving laptop hard drive with windows 10 to new desktop build?

LennonB

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
I just was wondering if i could pull the hard drive out of a laptop with windows 10 and move it to a desktop i will be building in the future. The desktop will be new motherboard, CPU, GPU, memory! Everything hardware based is going to be different except the hard drive. I bought the laptop with windows 8.1 on it and did the free upgrade to windows 10, yet when i run the command slmgr.vbs /dlv it says my operating system is in retail channel. Can someone please tell me if it will be possible to move the hard drive from laptop to new desktop with new hard ware??

Solution
G
according to Andre da Costa on the MS community forum (being Andre MVP - most valuable professional and insider on there, which suggests he knows what he is talking), "the license can be transferred to another computer if it is removed from the current computer" - january 1 2012
also, I think retail versions are attached to the motherboard, so, since you will be using a new motherboard, probably windows will become inactivated and become trial version. you can put the HDD in the new computer, there is just this case probably happening. if it happens and if the above information given by Andre is still correct, you need to contact MS to be able to reactivate windows on the new computer. it's better if you write your question on the...
G

according to Andre da Costa on the MS community forum (being Andre MVP - most valuable professional and insider on there, which suggests he knows what he is talking), "the license can be transferred to another computer if it is removed from the current computer" - january 1 2012
also, I think retail versions are attached to the motherboard, so, since you will be using a new motherboard, probably windows will become inactivated and become trial version. you can put the HDD in the new computer, there is just this case probably happening. if it happens and if the above information given by Andre is still correct, you need to contact MS to be able to reactivate windows on the new computer. it's better if you write your question on the microsoft community, where you will most likely get an answer from someone that actually works for Microsoft.

Solution