Considering a New Monitor. Opinions?

Brokenangel099

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
Hello,

I'm looking at the Acer Predator:

This]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0173PEX20/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_C2uHxb1M6GA2G]This one[/url]

After doing some reading I came to realize that without a severe upgrade, I shouldn't really look at anything more graphically demanding I don't think.

So, my question is...

I'm currently running a Hero Viii with 16gb of G.Skill's TridentZ RAM, along with a i5-6500 & an over-clocked EVGA GTX 970...

Will moving up to a monitor such as this one require further interior hardware upgrades?

Thanks,

Jason

Stackimaginable

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

Hi Jason,
Could you tell me the exact model of the monitor, Acer Predator what. The link would not work for me.
Thanks,
Damian

This monitor would merit a move to a GTX 1070 for teh best experience.
That being said, you will have a very nice time on it aswell with teh 970 because of G-Sync. Even if your frames drop to 40, you would not see any stutter adn everything will continue to be smooth.
A monitor is teh best investment you can make as it can last you several builds, so, you shuoul not see it as a monitor for your current card, but rather as teh monotir you will be tailoring your next builds to. Plus teh extra size and resolution would very much benefit you in Windows.
I say go for teh Asus.

Stackimaginable

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

Ok Jason,
So the 970 is perfect for 1440p gaming, which is what you seem to be going for here. The 970 is actually brilliant in the bang for your buck department here so, good choice on that.
Both monitors are 1440p as afore mentioned, and that is fine for the 970. Both monitors can run/be overclocked to run at 165Hz using DisplayPort, which the 970 will also be brilliant at.
At the end of the day, no you won't need any upgrade internally. The monitor choice is yours really. I'd presume the Asus one will cost a fortune because, well it's Asus enough said. They both have a 4ms response time, and both have speakers.
So in the end, the choice is yours really.
Hope this helps
Damian

Brokenangel099

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
Hlsgsz, Damian,

Thank you both for your input, it has been very helpful. 1440 gaining is more or less what I'm shooting for right now, as I think 4K and 5K or both simply too expensive to pursue and, in my opinion, not really worth the end result, for the money you spend for it.

I may actually upgrade to a 1070 or a 1060 sometime in the near future, once the market has stabilized a little bit and I can see what board options are out there. Maybe sometime by the end of the year.

It just so happens both of them are basically the same price right now on Amazon, and I have had no problems with Asus equipment so far. While both monitors have great reviews, it seems like more people are going with the Asus. Which, given my experience thus far, I don't think I can blame them. So, I think I might go that way too.

Thanks again :)

Jason

Going from a 970 to a 1060 will probably not be worth it, os teh 1070 is what you shoudl aim for.

4k is overrated and it's not quite time for it yet. What would you do in games that don't play ball with SLI? No single card can handle it properly as of today.
Also 4k is too much resolution for anything upto and including 21:9 34" and 16:9 27" and you wuold have to use high DPI setting in Windows which is not a good experience.

Given teh same price, Asus si my choice too.

You're welcome!