Reference GTX 1060 v Windforce GTX 770 4GB

G

Just exactly how much better is the 1060 vs. a 770 4gb model? If you were to take in the cost of both, and the performance output of both, which would be the best buy for a consumer looking for high end gaming?

I have to disagree with the comment above. The 1060, according to NVidia, will be better than a 980, so that's a huge improvement over the 770, so not a waste of money. The 1060 is newer technology and therefore will be more future proof. And finally, it only uses half the power, so depending on your PSU, you might save money by not having to upgrade to a larger unit.

I'll make it short and sweet ... While I can't justify the cost of the extreme premium cards like the Matrix, Classified, Lightning, etc, because the cost increase comes no where close to covering the cost increase, I would never, ever use a reference card. Buying a non-reference card has, to date, been the proverbial "no brainer". So lets take that right off the table.

As for making a choice, I never make recommendations based upon speculation on how a card is 'expected' to perform. So until the 19th when we see actual performance data, everything is pure speculation. However, w/o you stating a resolution, the appropriateness of either choice is in question. Nvidia said the 1060 was faster than the 980 (and I bet it was ... in the metric they chose) .... but leaked test results piuty it much closer to the 970. The 1060 is expected to perform between a 970 and a 980.

perfrel_1920.gif

I'd put the reference 1060 at about 50% faster than a reference 770, until we know more.... the reference 970 was 43% faster than the reference 770. The non-reference at stock would add about 5%.