Windows 10 License question + New SSD and Clean install

Arkanus

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Hello! I have a few questions regarding Windows 10 and SSDs. I'm new to both things and I don't have things clear enough even after reading stuff here and there. A bit of help with this would be greatly appreciated since I need my PC running again as soon as possible for work purposes.

I'm considering installing Windows 10 in a new SSD I bought a few days ago and leave my old 2TB mechanical hard drive as a secondary drive for data, games and such. Should I change some settings in the BIOS before installing W10 in the SSD? Also, should I install the OS with only one hard drive running, instead of both?

Also, I'm going to upgrade my Phenom x4 to a FX-8350 soon. My motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth 990fx (version 1) and I think I need do upgrade the BIOS to make it recognize the CPU. Does changing the CPU or updating the BIOS "break" your W10 single-computer license (if the OS is already installed)?

Thank you in advance!

Solution

No, you leave it as is.

USAFRet

Titan
Mostly, it is changing the motherboard which will trigger a new activation.

New drive? No problem.
Enable AHCI mode in the BIOS settings as you boot up to install.
Clean reinstall on the SSD? It is the same system, so it will activate. And install with only the SSD connected.

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hey mate,

1). Partition / format your SSD (any partition / format that is recognized by Windows works fine)
2). Plug the SSD into a hard drive enclosure
3). Plug it into your computer
4). Install the 'clone' / migration software that came with the SSD
5). Use the software to migrate your operating system (only) over to the SSD
6). Take the mechanical drive out
7). Plug the SSD in...

If you get this far send me a PM and I will give you further instructions.

With no experience you can't avoid doing some homework here!

Kind Regards,

Davo

Colif

Win 11 Master

And that only applies for the next few weeks too: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-tweaks-activation-rules-for-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

soon activation issues will be less frequent unless you change everything.

Arkanus

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

Thank you!
Can I disable AHCI mode after installing W10 on the SSD? Just curious.

USAFRet

Titan

No, you leave it as is.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS