HDD causes freeze while booting

Prestidigitat0r

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
Yesterday, my computer didn't boot. It just freezed on the screen with motherboard's producer logo, from which you can enter BIOS(I don't know whether this screen has some specific name). It didn't boot nor could I enter BIOS, since there was no response.
I tried to unplug some of the devices and found out that it's secondary HDD(no OS on it, just data) that causes freezes. When I connect it to motherboard computer doesn't boot, whithout that HDD everything's OK.
It tried another mb's port, another SATA cable and another power supply. The thing seems to be in HDD. It's Seagate Dysk Seagate Barracuda 3.5'' and mb's ASRock Z87 Extreme4.
Any advies would be appreciated. I'd like make this HDD work again or at least recover data.

I've installed win10 on my primary SSD week or two ago, I'm not sure wheter it can be connected with my issue somehow.

Hi there Prestidigitat0r,

Unfortunately, there's a chance that the drive is failing. In many cases, failing secondary drives prevent systems from booting.

As your computer won't boot, you have a couple of options:
- Attach the drive externally via SATA to USB adapter + power cord. If you can't access the drive right away, you will need to use some data recovery tool. You can try to test it as well: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

- Use some data recovery tool for DOS mode. You can check the Ubuntu Live CD approach out: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode
You will need a flash drive or a CD, so you can boot Ubuntu from it. Keep in mind that you shouldn't install the OS, just boot from the CD/flash.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Prestidigitat0r

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunetely, I couln't use live CD since it still freezed in the same moment before I could even enter BIOS.
I bought SATA-USB adapter and I turned out that disk works fine with USB connection. I'm not sure whether that's what caused the problem, but I found on one partition BOOTMGR file that seemed to remain there after formatting partition that i did few weeks ago(there was OS on that partition).
I'm not sure whether that's the problem but I made a full formatting of partition instead of quick formatting that's been done before, then connected disk in a usual way with SATA and it seems to work fine.