4k monitor g-sync or no gsync.

nigerson

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
So i currently have a 3770k, and a gtx 670. I have an evga gtx1080 ftw edition on pre-order which should get shipped out in a couple weeks. I also currently use a cheap 1080p 60hz monitor. I found a couple options for 4k monitors to pair with my gtx1080. My first option is an
lg 27ud88-w
https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UD88-W-27-Inch-Monitor-Type-C/dp/B01CDYB0QS
My reasons for choosing this monitor is the amazing color accuracy, aesthetics, hdcp 2.2 support, and overall great I/O. It costs ~$650 after tax

My second option is the asus rog swift PG27AQ.
https://www.amazon.com/SWIFT-PG27AQ-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B01AWGY9MG
My reasons for choosing this monitor is essentially G-sync and an ips panel. It also has the most tame design when compared to the other g-sync monitors which look all over the top edgy. What I don't like are some of the bad reviews about quality control, lack of hdmi 2.0, lack of hdcp 2.2. It also costs around ~$850 before tax, but I found a few sites that ship out of state so it wouldn't be taxed.

So is the $200 premium worth it for a g-sync display. The LG seems better in every other aspect, but it features free-sync which is for amd cards, would it be worth getting x2 rx480s and cancelling my gtx1080 pre-order? The initial reviews for the rx480s make them out to be only mid-range cards and amd is yet to offer any compelling high-end solution.

Solution
Scaling only goes so far, sure your start menu and icons are larger, but text, programs, websites, all run into problems. Steam library is soooo tiny!

Gaming at 4k eliminates the need for AA for sure, but honestly so does 1440. And G-sync simply syncs up your monitor and your GPU, preventing blurs. I honestly don't see a point in G-Sync unless you're pushing 120FPS, otherwise... whats there to sync?

Unfortunately you'd need another 1080 in order to even push 4k beyond 60hz. I don't believe it to be worth it at all.

Have you used a 4k monitor yet? Try and go find one to demo, 27" 4k would be borderline unusable. it honestly needs to be quite large.

I don't think it is worth the extra cost at all.

AMD doesnt have anything beyond the Fury right now.

nigerson

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Wouldn't scaling fix the issue of using a 27'' monitor day to day. From what I see the 1080 can run most games at high settings between 40-60fps with anti aliasing turned off(but at 27''/4k the jagged edges seem to really vanish). The varying 40-60fps wouldn't that be mitigated by the g-sync monitor?

Scaling only goes so far, sure your start menu and icons are larger, but text, programs, websites, all run into problems. Steam library is soooo tiny!

Gaming at 4k eliminates the need for AA for sure, but honestly so does 1440. And G-sync simply syncs up your monitor and your GPU, preventing blurs. I honestly don't see a point in G-Sync unless you're pushing 120FPS, otherwise... whats there to sync?

Solution