Could a Gsync Monitor (Theoretically) Run FreeSync?

Schwartzinator

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
I have the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q and a pair of temporary GTX 1080s and it's been great. However, I frequently change hardware and would like the option open to purchase AMD cards. With Gsync being proprietary and FreeSync being a standard built into DisplayPort enabled through firmware, could this be a possibility?

Solution
I'm sure it would be possible to convert between AdaptiveSync and GSync using a custom ASIC or FPGA but due to the small niche market for such an adapter, it may be ultimately cheaper to buy a new display. Adaptive Sync is getting even cheaper now that some monitor manufacturers are putting Adaptive Sync capable scalers in displays without paying for AMD's FreeSync logo/brand.

No. The custom nature of the G-Sync implementation prevents the scaler from adhering to the DP standard required for FreeSync.

InvalidError

Titan
I'm sure it would be possible to convert between AdaptiveSync and GSync using a custom ASIC or FPGA but due to the small niche market for such an adapter, it may be ultimately cheaper to buy a new display. Adaptive Sync is getting even cheaper now that some monitor manufacturers are putting Adaptive Sync capable scalers in displays without paying for AMD's FreeSync logo/brand.

Solution