4K on LG 4K TV (70 inch UHD) and Windows 10 w/ Radeon 240

rbthompsonv

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
Hi guys... ripping my hair out over here about this setup...

Ive got Windows 10 on a SFF HP 6600 (just a test box for now)...
Anyway, I have an LG 4K TV (70UH30U)
connected via DP to HDMI adapter to a Radeon R5 240
Windows reports the TV as a GENERIC MONITOR (Ive tried looking for a real driver, but can't find one, Ive tried switching the generic monitor to a higher res generic monitor...)
Radeon Settings the monitor as: SHARP HDMI...
But, I can't get Radeon tools to allow me to create a setting that displays 4K (even at 30Hz)...

Has anyone had any experience getting Windows 10 to recognize LG TVs as capable of receiving a 4K signal?

I haven't tried Win7... might that be easier to get to do what I want it to do (display 4K)... I don't care about the refresh rate at this point in time, just trying to get 4K to work...

Well first, it is a SHARP, not an LG, not sure where LG is coming from.

What kind of adapter are you using? i only have had luck with Club3D adapters that are clearly advertised to support 4k @ 60hz.

That said it really shouldn't be an issue. So resolutions beyond 1080p just aren't there?

Confirm what TV you have for me first, model number off the back?

rbthompsonv

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

HA!!! LG is coming from me being an idiot and looking at a phone sitting next to me while describing my TV :) Sorry about that.. It is indeed a Sharp Aquos...
I am using a cheap adapter I stole from my brother... looks to be unbranded (assume cheap Chinese)... (Im not concerned with true 4K at 60Hz yet... I can wait on a decent adapter... just trying to get it set up to display above 1080p at the moment)...
And correct, resolutions above 1080p aren't there... when I try to assign one higher than 1080p, Radeon Control kicks back an error that the custom resolution is not compatible with my display)...

Actual model number is:LC70UE30U

rbthompsonv

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

No, purchased off of eBay... and everything I read says that it should be able to do 4K (was specifically bought for 4K video as a SFF video card capable of doing it)...

That being said, Win10 is calling my TV a generic monitor... i feel like that might be the holdup... but can't figure out a workaround...

I don't think its the generic bit causing problems, all monitors are generic plug and play monitors.

I still want to blame the adapter but i can't see any real reason it would be stuck at 1080...

I'm guessing your card only has a DP, DVI and VGA?

rbthompsonv

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

DP and DVI... no VGA (for the low profile, you drop the VGA dongle)...

Switching ports and altering the TV's settings is a good idea.

rbthompsonv

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

Trying now... will edit with result.

1) R5-240 should support 4K@30Hz.

2) Why are you using Radeon Tools?
Just use the normal

3) THIS is the latest driver-> http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

Crimson Edition 16.7.2 Hotfix

4) Just FYI, but you need to sit closer than 1.5X the diagonal distance of an HDTV for 4K to look better than 1920x1080 resolution.

Summary:
UPDATE:

*Your issue is likely the ADAPTER preventing proper HDTV detection. I agree.

rbthompsonv

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

DVI to HDMI comes back with same error when trying to set a custom resolution of 2560x1600 (it does not show up automatically in display properties)...

I can say with fair certainty that it's the adapter. While HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 cabling is the same, the port is different. For 4k over HDMI using a DP adapter you need an active adapter. I have a Sceptre 4k 49in TV with HDMI 2.0 input, the TV can do 4k@60, but I had to switch to an NVidia card cause at the time all the AMD cards were HDMI 1.4 and there weren't any displayport adapters that would allow 4k, been using a 980 Ti for about a year now, so I'm pretty sure that an adapter has come out. Also, just so you know, while the R5 240 will indeed output at 4k, from what I've read it doesn't have the horsepower for 4k video, just desktop and photos, stuff like that, true 4k video, good 4k video is usually decently compressed and needs decent hardware to run. Thus far I only have 1 4k video that looks like my games @ 4k and it eats my processor (I7 7600K @ 4.5). Might do 4k BluRay when they come out, but we'll have to kinda wait on that, supposed to be soon.

rbthompsonv

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

The adapter (even if it is shite... should go above 1080p) ... but, i think it's ruled out as my DVI to HDMI yields the same results (nothing above 1080p)...

And thank you for the link.. did not realize there was a different tool.... installing and trying now.

rbthompsonv

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016

Issue can't STRICTLY be the adapter... DVI-HDMI adapter suffers same drawback... And as for the horsepower/compression... Im looking to run uncompressed 4K through this thing... (and mostly... it's an entry level card ... i don't expect much out of it.. but i don't want to drop another 2500 on something that has lackluster performance until i know that the system as a whole functions properly :) )

Just do yourself a favor and get the Club3D DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter here.
https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displayport-1-2-HDMI-CAC-1070/dp/B017BQ8I54
And an HDMI cable clearly advertised to be HDMI 2.0 that fits your length needs.

At least then we will KNOW it isn't the adapter, cable, or TV causing the issue.

I know for a fact that adapter works as i use a 4k TV at 60hz with my R9 390.

That will be a <100 investment to get rid of a lot of potential issues.

rbthompsonv

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
ACTUALLY... to eliminate variables... stuck an ubuntu install USB in... i get 2160p 30Hz on ubuntu boot... BUT... here's the wonky part... that's on my DVI to HDMI... which I thought wasn't supposed to be able to happen.... (Swapping to DP-HDMI)...