Asus drivers keep installing as 32 bit program

tjeulink

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Hi there!

I have build a new computer with the asus z170 pro gaming and an intel i5 6600k. the problem is that asus their drivers keep installing 32 bit which annoys the hell out of me. im running windows 10 education edition. ive downloaded the latest drivers and utilities from the asus website (which states that it supports 64 bit, some even say that they only support 64 bit but run as 32 bit). how do i know that they run 32 bit? i checked in task manager and simply see the (32) behind the process. does anybody know if this is just normal and that they simply dont have proper 64 bit drivers and utilities yet or is something funky going on on my side?

thanks for helping

tjeulink

Solution
if you are selecting the 64 bit versions of the drivers from the drop down, you have to believe in them being right. I know some Asus utilities are only 32bit but work fine on 64 bit systems, gpu tweak 2 being one such.

chipset drivers - 64 bit
Audio, VGA, LAN, USB, Aura utility, SATA - 32 bit
BIOS would work with either 32 bit or 64 bit as well

I see your point. The fact remains they run on both formats.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you are selecting the 64 bit versions of the drivers from the drop down, you have to believe in them being right. I know some Asus utilities are only 32bit but work fine on 64 bit systems, gpu tweak 2 being one such.

chipset drivers - 64 bit
Audio, VGA, LAN, USB, Aura utility, SATA - 32 bit
BIOS would work with either 32 bit or 64 bit as well

I see your point. The fact remains they run on both formats.

Solution

tjeulink

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

thanks for the answer. i know they both work, but it just doesnt look clean to have 32 bit programs running. eh, ill just have to live with it. i wish we could come out of the 32 bit dark age already :p the motherboard z170 chipset i have doesnt even support 32 bit processors. eh guess ill have to wait 5 years to see everyone move to 64 bit completely.

Colif

Win 11 Master
There are far more 32 bit programs around than 64 bit, so it will happen eventually but its too soon to make a break like that. It would be a barrier to the acceptance of 64 bit as people would have to consider if the programs they use will still work. I didn't jump to 64 bit until this PC as when I had my last PC there was a game I played that didn't work in 64 bit, and I didn't know if it would work or not. Big business has a tendency to use programs much longer than they should be so 32 bit will be around for a while longer. OEM still rely on 32 bit drivers and in some cases legacy hardware just to squeeze as much profit as possible.