Hard disk detected but not booting

Sushrut_Thakur

Reputable
Jul 14, 2016
I have a Hitachi 160gb and a Seagate 320gb hard drives.I have installed windows on the Hitachi HDD and the Seagate is for storage.when I start my computer and go to the bios,I can see both hard disks but I am stuck at "windows is loading" screen.when I remove the Seagate HDD,my PC boots properly without any problem. I have precious data on the Seagate HDD and I want to recover it.I can't understand the problem because the Seagate HDD is being detected in bios but can't boot when the Seagate HDD is plugged in . My English is not so good but try to understand and please help me out.

It's possible your Seagate HDD is defective. It's rather common for a system failing to boot when it encounters a defective secondary HDD. As a first step, test the drive with Seagate's SeaTools HDD diagnostic program.

Hi there Sushrut_Thakur,

As ArtPog suggested, most probably your secondary drive is failing. Yet, as you want to recover the data, it may not be a good idea to start with testing the drive. You'r system can't boot anyway.

Have you tried to attach the drive with different cables(both SATA & power ones) to another SATA port? It may be a good idea to do so.

The first thing you need to do, is to try to recover the data. In case the data is extremely important, keep in mind that your safest bet would be to contact a data recovery company.

Apart from that, as your system can't boot, you have two options:
- Attach the drive externally with an enclosure, once the system boots up. Then you can try to access it right away or run some data recovery software on it.
- Use some data recovery tool for DOS mode. You can check the Ubuntu Live CD approach out: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode
Just boot up from a CD or a flash drive and see whether the drive would be accessible.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Sushrut_Thakur

Reputable
Jul 14, 2016

Thanks for the quick reply.Could you please send me the link to download these seatools HDD diagnostic program???.

Google is your friend. Just search for "Seagate SeaTools HDD diagnostic program".