Building a new system - thoughts and opinions please

lemon33

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
Hi all! I'm looking to build a new system to replace my 6-year old Core 2 Quad 9650 system. I'm planning to re-use my existing case, PSU and hard disks, maybe replacing the case etc when I've enough cash. I plan to replace the motherboard, CPU, RAM, CPU cooling and graphics card though. So, what I'm thinking is:

CPU bundle: i7 6700K overclocked to 4.6 GHz, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2666MHz DDR4, Corsair Hydro H80i GT liquid cooling

Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming

I'll be running Windows 10 64-bit, so would it be worth getting 16GB RAM? Anyway, buying this lot pretty much exhausts the budget for the time being, so would it be a worthwhile investment?

Thanks in advance, David

hasim

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
One word about the PSU: It may be wise to get a new one IF it dates back to your original build 6 years ago. I also built a system 6 years ago, and am looking to build a new one now, and explicitly asked what people would think about me using my old PSU. Everyone who answered said it was not a good idea.

If you go with the old one, it is a bit of a gamble. Especially given you are going with a build that looks like you'll be OCing.