What to upgrade? 2008 Dell XPS 420

Jamestj

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015
Hi all,

I used to be a pc gamer when I was younger, recently I dug out my old PC which hasn't been used in years. I don't really want to spend £6-700 on a brand new gaming computer as I really don't play enough to warrant it, however, I was wondering if there were any slight upgrades I could make to allow my PC to run newer games. Not on high settings, just run with a smooth enough framerate if possible - mainly CS:GO, ArmA (although i know this is very cpu intensive so unlikely) and maybe battlefield, although I will be mostly using it for the older games I used to play.

Specs:

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
(is this overclockable?)

Memory 4096MB RAM (is it worth upgrading this to 8GB since it's DDR2?)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE (replaced the original 8800GT)

I also remember upgrading the PSU, maybe to 650 or 750W, although i'm unsure of which!

Thanks in advance.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have one of those same pc's running the stock psu with an r9-270 and the kids play a ton of new games on it. not at max settings and 100 fps but they're not complaining. :) got 4gb ram as well in it.

you don't need much for your needs especially paired with that cpu. if you've upgraded the psu to 650w+, you can run most any gpu on it. something like a 950 or 960 would be ample for your needs and not cost a ton of money. or you can wait for the new amd and nvidia cards to show and grab the new generation of cards coming out. should be a gtx 1060 coming out soon and amd has an rx 460 and rx 470 coming out that should be rather cheap and perform well for the money.

i see 950's starting at around $125 and 960's at about $175 starting. equivalent r9-380's start around $155 and match a 960 roughly.