Wired internet, wireless storage?

ww2golfer

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I just installed a new router - (https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-AC3200-Tri-Band-Router-DIR-890L/dp/B00PVD81MK). My current setup is the cable modem in my office. I have the modem providing my tower a wired connection. I then have another wired connection from the modem to the router, which is on the other side of the house. This means currently my tower is not on the same network (I think) as my router and my wireless devices. The new router has a couple of USB ports I would like to utilize for external hard drives. If I buy some form of wireless adapter for my tower, is it possible to be able to use the wired internet access AND be connected to the wireless network to utilize the storage at the same time? If so, any major challenges I need to be aware of?

I am aware that moving the modem would be one solution, but for a plethora of reasons, would prefer not to. Thanks for any help!

Solution
Use the D-Link as an access point rather than a router. That will put all the devices in a single IP subnet. The storage on the router will be accessible to all.