How much voltage should i go with then i wonna overclock my I7 6700K to 4.7GHz?

kristoffermilo

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
How much voltage should i go with then i wonna overclock my I7 6700K to 4.7GHz? I dont wonna go over 1.35v, but i bit over doesn't hurt :D

And i dont really know how to see if its perfect or if its wrong :p

Ryan_78

Honorable
Just increase the multiplier until it fails stress testing or doesn't boot. Then increase the voltage. Every chipmismdifferemt,Mao the voltag needed will be different. Also you could probably set the voltage to dynamic and then create an offset to the final voltage, while slowly decreasing the minimum value so that it is stable.

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
Overclocking is a lot about patience, there is no shortcut. You need to gradually increase multiplier, verify stability and temperatures every time. You might be super lucky and get to 4.7 with default voltage, you might be lucky and get there with with some voltage increase and you might have pretty bad luck and won't reach 4.7 no matter how you try. It's simply result of how well the manufacturing process of your particular piece went. Raising multiplier won't destroy your cpu, at worst it just won't start. Raising voltage blindly could. So never raise more than one step before running the stability testing. And when you reach stability, you should step one multiplicator level lower to ensure long term reliability (give it at least a bit of a headroom, just for case).

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
Either the machine won't start (get post POST) after you increase multiplicator or it becomes unstable (stability tests fail, you get BSOD, Windows won't start...). Case of the machine not getting over POST test should not happen at all, first you do one step increase at time, second motherboards these days are quite smart and if they recognize epic failure, they reset themselves and revert to default settings. If you increase voltage several times and there is still no improvement, you have hit the limit of your cpu. Don't forget to test carefully and watch both stability and temperatures. Personally for last steps I run full load for 12hrs and require zero faults and at least 20°C below threshold (if OCing during summer, 30°C during winter, counting for higher margin for more cooling challenging situation it will have to handle during summer). That's maybe quite big margin, but I don't want it to fail on me when I really wouldn't appreciate it.

wbattel4607

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Every chip is different but just FYI I got 4.7GHz on my 6700K using 1.315V. Take it with a grain of salt, but it'll probably be in that ballpark.

wbattel4607

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

Not really, no. Insufficient voltage is likely to result in Blue Screens of Death (BSOD) or failure to POST or BOOT, but this will not damage your components so long as you're not trying to drive far too much into it.

kristoffermilo

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
My plan for now:
Starting a 12 hour stresstest from 10PM to 10AM next morning.
Go in to bios and set the multiplyer to 46 as in 4.6GHz.
Go in and take a 30 min stresstest and watch the TempC

What will happen if it needs more Voltage?

wbattel4607

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

Lack of voltage will result in BSOD or other Windows errors, clock speeds unable to reach your target, failure to BOOT or POST, or other miscellaneous hints. You should know if it works or not. It won't damage your hardware, but is capable of corrupting system files (sometimes, not always), so perform a backup if you have important data. Make sure to increase voltage only if the chip is incapable of performing at that clock, and do not exceed 1.30V unless you deem it necessary and safe given your personal circumstances (as a rough estimate. Some people are comfortable up to 1.4, and Intel says do not exceed upper 1.40s... so basically just stay as low as you can with your chip to ensure its longevity.)

TRENDING THREADS