First PC Build - Advice for assembling this system in a Zalman ZM-T1 PLUS MicroATX Mini Tower Case

RCS-Raincloud

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Hello, I'll be putting together a PC for the first time as soon as custom RX 480 and GTX 1060 models are released, so I can choose the GPU. I'm watching tutorials on YouTube and reading guides to prepare.

I'd like more advice on the assembly process, things to avoid, newbie mistakes, must-do steps and all you can share out of experience. If anyone is familiar with the case, motherboard, PSU, etc - even better.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($91.62 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Case: Zalman ZM-T1 PLUS MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($27.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSD1 DVD/CD Writer ($38.48 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC56 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Deepcool XFAN 120 44.7 CFM 120mm Fan ($5.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $724.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-15 14:03 EDT-0400

MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a #2 magnetic tip phillips screwdriver.

1. I assemble all the parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functuonality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Be very careful to drop the cpu into the motherboard socket.
The pins are delicate and can be damaged if you smoosh the cpu around.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter.
3. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins
4. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
5. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86+ on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
6. Install windows.
7. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
7. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft security essentials is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
8. Install your graphics card and update it's driver.
9. Update windows to currency.
10. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.

I built a rig with the same CPU and motherboard last month. My first suggestion is to go with a larger SSD. I used a PNY CS2211 480GB to save a little money now, with the plan to add an M.2 NVMe SSD as the boot drive when the prices come down in the future. Keeping everything on SSD's (OS, programs and files) is worth it, because overall system speed/response is so much better.

In regards to the build:
1. Add your CPU, RAM and cooler to the motherboard, then mount the motherboard in the case.
2. Add the power supply to the case, attach the CPU cable and power cable to the motherboard.
3. Hook up the case wiring to the motherboard (fans, power switch, HD led, etc)
4. Leave the case open and hook up a monitor, keyboard and mouse.
5. *** Remove the CMOS battery for 10-15 seconds, then replace it, to be sure the motherboard settings are in a factory state. ***
6. Power up - check that you boot into the bios, check that the RAM is recognized, check that the fans are running and power LED is on.
7. If everything is good, power down, discontent the power cord and continue with rest of the build. If not, it's basic debug mode time - power switch on the power supply is in the ON position, RAM and cables are seated correctly, etc.

RCS-Raincloud

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Thank you both for the detailed and extensive advice. Geofelt made me notice I don't have the right screwdriver! I'm glad you pointed it out. Thanks for the SDD suggestion, Scottray. I'll check prices on 480GB+. Good to hear from people with experience and even familiarity with specific parts I picked.

Some of these things may be obvious for anyone who ever assembled a PC before, and at the same time they are precious advice for fist timers.