Help - Windows 10 - Preparing automatic repair - PC not working

ptrickono

Honorable
Oct 5, 2014
Hi,

Recently I came home to my computer have a blue screen, I assume it restarted due to automatic updates. However now ever time I try to restart I run into the "Preparing automatic repair" statement then the "diagnosing your pc" and whenever I select any of the other options either nothing happens or it restarts into the same loop

Some background information: before this happened every time Windows would update it would fail. I am using Windows 10 and my current SSD has a lot of important information I don't want to lose on it.

I have two ideas why my computer is not working:
1. My RAM is dead / motherboard not working properly
2. My SSD is corrupt somehow

Would anyone be able to provide any insight into how to proceed next? Or what to do?

Much appreciated!

Solution
A perfect example of the importance of backups.

What I would do:
1. Hook up the SSD to another computer (personal/friend's/family member's/PC repair shop)
2. Extract the important data to another drive, then extract it again to another drive.
3. Test the SSD using manufacturer's diagnostics (name brands often offer software).
4. Test memory using Memtest 86 from a flash drive.
5. If SSD and memory are OK, do a fresh install of the original operating system (not Windows 10).
6. If SSD or memory not OK, replace and try Windows 10.
7. If you continue to have problems after testing memory and drive with different OS, assume it is another problem, such as power supply or motherboard.

It is simply a process of elimination. All...

rehed21

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
A perfect example of the importance of backups.

What I would do:
1. Hook up the SSD to another computer (personal/friend's/family member's/PC repair shop)
2. Extract the important data to another drive, then extract it again to another drive.
3. Test the SSD using manufacturer's diagnostics (name brands often offer software).
4. Test memory using Memtest 86 from a flash drive.
5. If SSD and memory are OK, do a fresh install of the original operating system (not Windows 10).
6. If SSD or memory not OK, replace and try Windows 10.
7. If you continue to have problems after testing memory and drive with different OS, assume it is another problem, such as power supply or motherboard.

It is simply a process of elimination. All drives fail eventually, so always have a backup (or 2 or 3).

Solution

ptrickono

Honorable
Oct 5, 2014

My only questions before going to proceed with those steps are these:
1. Will connecting a possibly corrupt SSD to a different computer corrupt said computer?
2. Will installing potentially bad/dead RAM to a computer that works screw up that computer?

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it as I only built the computer for about 1 year ago!

rehed21

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
1. Connecting a bad drive to another computer will not harm the other computer (at worse it will cause it to not boot until the bad drive is removed).
2. I would recommend testing the ram in your current computer. There is a possibility that bad RAM can corrupt the OS.

ptrickono

Honorable
Oct 5, 2014

Would testing his good RAM in my computer thats not working potentially corrupt the good RAM? Otherwise I'm not sure how to test if it works, since I cant download memtest since I cant start my computer.

Much Appreciated!

rehed21

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
It is possible, but not likely, that your motherboard or power supply would corrupt good ram. If you are just sticking them in to see if it boots and runs, then you should be OK. If your friend is willing to lend you his/her ram, would he/she be willing instead to download memtest86 and burn it to a cd or usb drive? That would be the best way, then test your sticks one at a time by booting to memtest.

It would be helpful to know what motherboard, power supply, memory, and CPU that you have.

ptrickono

Honorable
Oct 5, 2014

Here is the link to my PCPart Picker:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/ptrickono/saved/jGDXsY

As for Memtest these are the results I got:
Test Start Time: 2016-07-20 20:44:51
Elapsed Time: 3:46:19
# Tests Passed: 25/48 (52%)
Lowest Error Addressed: 0x224000390 (8768MB)
Highest Error Addressed: 0x22EDD8370 (8941MB)
Bits in Error Mask: 0000000080000000
Bits in Error - Total: 1 Min: 0 Max: 1 Avg: 1
Max Contiguous Errors: 1

Now I am not sure what this information means, but I am going to look on the Memtest website to hopefully find out. If you could give me any insight that would be much appreciated!