can't see the difference between 1080p and 1440p

simonz93

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
Maybe because I was too hyped about it, keep reading about how much better it looks. But now that I have a 1440p monitor, I don't actually see a noticeable improvement (yes the resolution is 1440p in all the games I tested).

I even took screenshots in steam to compare side by side. The only difference is that the 1440p is bigger because of the high resolution. But in game, I just don't notice any visual improvement.

Am I blind? :'(

Solution
Dots Per Inch.
The more pixels you have in a given area, the better the visual quality (simplified version, also distance to the screen matters, etc). Since you increased the resolution AND the screen size, the dpi didn't change that much, so the quality is close. The main difference is that you now have a lot more area to make use of.

simonz93

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015

Oh I see. My new screen is 27', old one was 24.5. Don't know what dpi means though.

Dots Per Inch.
The more pixels you have in a given area, the better the visual quality (simplified version, also distance to the screen matters, etc). Since you increased the resolution AND the screen size, the dpi didn't change that much, so the quality is close. The main difference is that you now have a lot more area to make use of.

Solution