Upgrading to Windows 10 using a SSD for OS and HDD for storage

Radelly

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015
As the title says i want to upgrade to Windows 10.
I currently have Windows 7 installede on an SSD and a storage HDD.
My question is do i need to do something to be sure Windows 10 installs on the SSD and not the HDD, because ive heard about that happening?

Solution
Imaging your hard drive means that you use software (Macrium Reflect Free works well) to take an image of your hard drive. The purpose of doing this is that if anything goes wrong during the process you have an image you can restore that puts your PC back to the way it was before you started working on it. You should first image the SSD and once done you should image your HDD.

You should find a video on youtube that shows you how to use Macrium Reflect.

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Here is what I would do if I were you:

1. Image my SSD and HDD separately.
2. Update Windows 7 to Windows 10.
3. Confirm that Windows 10 is fully registered before proceeding.
4. Disconnect all your HDDs apart from the SSD
5. Do fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD
6. Reconnect your HDD

This will ensure that your Windows 10 is properly configured and installed and did not leak over to your other HDD.

Radelly

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015

Sorry not really the huge tech person. What do you mean by image my SSD and HDD separately?
and when i have installed Windows 10, i just install it again?

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Imaging your hard drive means that you use software (Macrium Reflect Free works well) to take an image of your hard drive. The purpose of doing this is that if anything goes wrong during the process you have an image you can restore that puts your PC back to the way it was before you started working on it. You should first image the SSD and once done you should image your HDD.

You should find a video on youtube that shows you how to use Macrium Reflect.

Solution

Radelly

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015

Okay thanks for thee quick answer, Ill look into it

Radelly

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015

Ive just read about people, where Windows 10 has ended up on their HDD?

^ that can happen on a completely fresh install on a new system with 2 drives connected where you can end up with the boot sector information on the second drive .

If you're using the upgrade option from within windows this will 100% not happen.

I've upgraded 9 systems, all had multiple drives (5 of these had 3 or 4 drives installed in addition to an ssd) , not a single issue .

If you're installing clean from scratch then yes unplug the second drive , if you're upgrading there is no need.

Radelly

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015

Thanks for the explanation. I Will just try to upgrade then.
If it for some reason does install on the HDD, will i be able to revert back to Windos 7 on the SSD? (Dont really know much about Operatings systems)

Radelly

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015

Yea i do have the upgrade option.
Im just paranoid about stuff like this :)

Don't be mate , its seamless , compared to win8/8.1 upgrades in the past MS have done a great job this time.
10 minutes (15 mins max depending on system specs ) once the upgrade files are downloaded & you will be on the win 10 splash screen.

Yes you have 30 days to rollback to win7 .
Win 7 is backedup during the upgrade - it does take a fair bit of diskspace up so make sure you have 50-60gb free on the ssd.

It can be deleted using disk cleanup once you're happy .

Win old win7 install took 27gb disk space up, win 10 takes 9gb.

Radelly

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015

Thanks for the detailed answer, ill will try upgrading in a few days!

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
In all honesty you should image your hard drive before you start. Unexpected things can happen and you can lose all your data. Having an image handy will ensure that you can restore all your data and start again.

I have done a large number of Windows installs over the last 20 years and most of the time they go without a hitch but now and again I encounter problems and I am always pleased I have a backup image at hand.