Upgrade from 6100 to 6400 or 6700t

gator37

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Hey everyone,

I ran into opportunity to exchange my i3 6100 to either i5 6400 or i7 6700t. (opportunity = good friend of mine who works for one PC releated website/shop always has plenty of HW to sell after they test them. I'd give him mine i3 6100 and little bit of money for either 6400 or 6700t)

Now i'm probably gonna get some better cpu after the summer anyway (october most likely, together with new gpu) but would this be a good trade for this short period of time? Or would it be just couple of fps here and there which I would hardly notice. Oh btw this would be for my pc which I use mainly for gaming. (got separate pc for work on videos). I don't really play HW demanding games ( mostly csgo, overwatch and Total Wars and then few gems like Witcher 3 and DOOM however both run just fine with medium-high settings) but I'd like to play Arma 3 and on most of the servers my cpu seems to struggle, giving me 20-30fps. So if there is a (high enough) chance that either 6400 or 6700t would solve this that might be a deciding factor.

Or he also has i7 4820k (would cost me almost the same as the skylakes i5/i7) but that would require me to change the mobo and RAM which is probably more than I'd like to spend on pc atm.

GPU Gigabyte 7950 3GB
RAM 8GB DDR4 2133mhz
PSU ZALMAn ZM600-LX

Thank you in advance for answers, I'll check in once I wake up. Have a nice day

Any chance your friend would let you test and benchmark the other processors? I'm not sure the i5 6400 would be much better than the i3 in most games because of the clocks, and the i7 is a low power model which may not show much of an improvement either. If it were the 6500 or 6700, I would have said jump on it.