Upgrading motherboard, will I need to buy new windows 10

EmmaKado

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Hi Friends,

I am having some problems understanding the windows 10 activation process.

I currently have an i5-4670k on a Maximus VI Hero and am looking to upgrade soon to a i7-6700k on a Maximus VIII Hero.

My issue is that I purchased a retail copy of Windows 8.1 and have received the free upgrade and have been using windows 10 since day one. I won't be installing my new motherboard until after July 29th when I am no longer able to upgrade my windows copy for free. Will I have to reinstall Windows? And, if so, Will I still be able to upgrade to windows 10 or will I be forced to buy another copy of Windows 10?

Solution
It is hard to say. If you have the actual windows 10 retail key you should be able to transfer to a new board without calling Microsoft.
I assume a windows 8.1 retail key gets updated to a windows 10 retaill key and the key is associated with your Microsoft account and motherboard. At some point I would expect Microsoft to modify the activation servers to not accept down level keys. So your 8.1 key could still install Windows 8.1 but not windows 10 directly. Boils down to do you have a windows 10 retail key. You can try a program to read your current key from your system. Write down the key and try it when you get your new board. If it fails you call Microsoft and tell them you replace the motherborard. Often you just give them...
It is hard to say. If you have the actual windows 10 retail key you should be able to transfer to a new board without calling Microsoft.
I assume a windows 8.1 retail key gets updated to a windows 10 retaill key and the key is associated with your Microsoft account and motherboard. At some point I would expect Microsoft to modify the activation servers to not accept down level keys. So your 8.1 key could still install Windows 8.1 but not windows 10 directly. Boils down to do you have a windows 10 retail key. You can try a program to read your current key from your system. Write down the key and try it when you get your new board. If it fails you call Microsoft and tell them you replace the motherborard. Often you just give them the old key, they check it and give you a new key. It only takes a few minutes.

Solution