Constant BSOD with different error codes

BondJosh

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Hi

I have recently built my first computer and this site was a great in helping accomplish this. The build went fine and the only hiccups were a few issue's installing Windows 7, which I then upgraded to Windows 10.

The computer worked fine for about a month and then one day I suddenly got a BSOD which stated BAD_POOL_HEADER. I tried to troubleshoot this by looking online but I then kept getting more BSOD's and each time it was a different error code. The first thing i checked were drivers which were fine and then I updated the bios but that didn't help. I then checked windows which I found had corrupted. I was unable to repair windows through dism, system restore did not fix the issue, I was unable to reset windows 10, I was unable to repair windows 10 with the media creation tool. I then tried a fresh install of windows using a bootable usb but that wouldn't work so now I am trying to install it from a disc instead. This seems to work but the compuer always blue screens before it can finish installing. I really have no idea what to do next so any help would be appreciated greatly.

A few other things to note
-I did a memtest on my RAM which was fine and have tried booting it with only one stick installed
-I have tried removing my graphics card but it still blue screens
-My components are as follows; Intel Core i5 6500, ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970, 16GB Corsair RAM

Solution
I have found that the dism and sfc commands always report a corruption after a windows upgrade to windows 10. You would normally just look at the log and see that it complained about. At this point I run the command and ignore the errors. Restoring is not a good option. A clean install of Windows 10 did not produce any errors. After the install you would then go to your motherboard vendors website and update any windows 10 drivers they provide. I would also check the bios version and update it also (depends on the fixes but some driver updates require a bios update at the same time.)

After that if you get a bad pool error it will most likely be a old driver or a old motherboard utility that was carried over from a upgrade. To...

Ihavenousername

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Hi, BondJosh,
Sorry to hear about that, but you could try this;

Remove all external removable computer peripherals (USBs, SD cards), except for mouse and keyboard connections, and then try installing Win10 from the disc again. If this works, put your USBs back in one by one, until you find which one is engendering the problem.

Let me know what happens!

BondJosh

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

Thanks for the quick reply, I didn't have anything plugged in apart from the mouse and keyboard however I did open up the case and unplug the case usb slots from the motherboard and the case fans from the psu and this seemed to help as i was able to install windows without it crashing so thank you again for that suggestion. What would you recommend now as obviously I don't want it to happen again but at the moment I have a very basic computer as I have taken out my graphics card, one stick of RAM, and unplugged the things i mentioned before?

I have found that the dism and sfc commands always report a corruption after a windows upgrade to windows 10. You would normally just look at the log and see that it complained about. At this point I run the command and ignore the errors. Restoring is not a good option. A clean install of Windows 10 did not produce any errors. After the install you would then go to your motherboard vendors website and update any windows 10 drivers they provide. I would also check the bios version and update it also (depends on the fixes but some driver updates require a bios update at the same time.)

After that if you get a bad pool error it will most likely be a old driver or a old motherboard utility that was carried over from a upgrade. To find these someone can look at your minidump file but even then you might have to run verifier flags.

Some people just do a clean install of Windows 10 and then update the motherboard drivers rather than take the steps to find the actual cause of the problem.

Solution

Ihavenousername

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016

Hello,

I would suggest reconnecting the hardware, and see what occurs when you turn on the PC. If you still are having problems, keep me informed, and good luck!