[PROBLEM] Dark spot on new HP Pavilion 24xw

thenokiottos

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
Hi,
i month ago i bought a pavilion 24xw for 150 bucks, after much research. Since then i treated it like a son, being the first brand new monitor i ever bought (the other one was a reconditioned HP LP2065, six years ago). Some days ago i spotted a stain of 1 cm in diameter on it, and after attempting to clean it, i discovered that it wasn't dirt, but some kind of dark spot. It is hardly noticeable if not on a really white background, and even then you have to not stare directly at it. Here is a pic (it is even less noticeable here, it is best observed when the pic is zoomed out) the circle is dark grey because a bright color makes it less visible.

Now, the question is, is it a fabric defect? I'm not an expert, but since i mounted it the monitor, i didn't even clean it once (after noticing the spot it was the first time), nor did any object impact with the screen. But, who knows, maybe i stared too much at it, or i sneezed too hard. I'd like to know from your experience if after i file an RMA those guys won't accuse me of sitting or dragging my willie on it.
Thanks in advance.

In my experience monitor defects are pretty easy to RMA. They must be at least a little common.
Unfortunately, despite their willingness to issue an RMA, they usually demand you send it to them at your own expense.

thenokiottos

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

Thank you for answering. Have you ever heard of defects like these? I tried searching and something called "mura effect" seems to be this case, but from the images i have seen it's usually much larger.

Nope, this is the first i've heard of it. My problems have always been black spots, like very black, from some kind of seperation of parts, usually starts at the edges or where buttons / clips are. Maybe yours is kind of a similar thing.

Like i said, i think monitors get jacked up in transit fairly often i think.