LG "Flicker Safe" vs. Acer IPS?

KHE920

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
I bought an LG 24'' (non-IPS). Then I saw a good deal on an Acer 23'' IPS and bought that too. Haven't opened either one yet.

Something in me is drawn to this "flicker free." The terminology just makes it seem like it's safer for the eyes?

Looking for some opinions

Solution

KHE920

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Hey guys,

I bought the Acer for $100 (slickdeals.net posted about it 1-2 weeks ago) and the LG from costco for $120. Don't care much about the price difference between the two.

No gaming. Just multi-tasking watching a lot of youtube videos and browsing web (10-20 tabs open).

Use computer 8-10 hours a day so that is why i raised interest in "flicker safe" but not sure if it even produces a significant effect versus other modern monitors like the Acer?

Overall the Acer is a much better monitor purely for the color reproduction that IPS offers, seeing as you game however, the extra pixel response time may be annoying for you on cheaper IPS panels which focus less on response time.
However, in your case seeing as you use your PC for long periods of time, the LG is the better choice.
I used a similar monitor back in 2013 when I was using a PC for long periods of time, and rather than my eyes being sore at the end of the day, they were much more relaxed, and it made my work much more enjoyable overall.
The LG also has a lower response time due to being a TN panel.
Returning the Acer seems like the best move here.
The LG is a great purchase for you, and I would be happy snagging a deal like that. :)

Solution
Cheap ips like that are pretty much the same as good tn for color. Most new monitors are flicker free, they are moving away from pwm. Tn does not mean better response times and they both say 5ms. They're never right since it's not standardized and you won't have ghosting issues anyways. You can get flicker free and ips for $110 so your deals were just normal.