Overheating Laptop - Questions

flamekong

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
I have a hp pavilion g6 notebook and I have some questions regard heat and speed.

1. My laptop fan is always running at what seems it's highest setting and this is because my computer is always hot. I'm pretty sure that the system is slowing down the PC's performance to compensate for the high heat, however I'm not sure of it. Is this correct?

2. What are some factors that can contribute to an overheating laptop? Because as soon as I open my computer, with literally nothing open (I've disabled not necessary start-up programs) the fan starts at it's highest setting. I'm not sure if dust buildup in the fan can cause my laptop to slow down from 300 fps which is what I used to get to 4 fps which is what I get now (in games).

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

Solution
Would suspect the battery.

Can you remove the battery and just run on direct power to see if the overheating stops?

Go to HP's website/forums and research your g6 laptop.

Or just do a general online search and look for similar complaints/problems.

Ralston18

Titan
Does the overheating happen with just battery and/or with power while plugged into an electrical outlet?

Batteries can generate a lot of heat and your battery may be defective and failing.

Take a look at Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Performance Monitor.

See what applications, processes, and services are running and perhaps straining the laptops resources. Even though you may not have started anything something could be starting and running from boot time. Multiple reasons: some backup, an update, software bug, etc....

You mentioned dust - is the laptop used in a work environment or somewhere else where it is exposted to lots of dust, dirt, debris?

Could be there is some airflow blockage or the fan is failing.

If you know how to do so I suggest an internal inspection. Otherwise find a knowlegable family member, friend, or local shop to take a look.

flamekong

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
The recourse usage of this laptop is very low and yes it gets really hot with and without it being plugged in. The environment where i'm using it is an open bedroom and there isn't anything blocking the airflow from the sides, back etc.

Ralston18

Titan
Would suspect the battery.

Can you remove the battery and just run on direct power to see if the overheating stops?

Go to HP's website/forums and research your g6 laptop.

Or just do a general online search and look for similar complaints/problems.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Certainly something to consider.....

Do not believe that we are at the point where purchasing a laptop cooler is necessary.

More important to specifically identify the problem and then, if it additional cooling is warranted, consider a cooler.

The cooler really should not be necessary for normal usage.