27'' 1080p vs 25'' 1440p

CubriC

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
Hello Dear community, I was surprised that this will be my first thread even though I've been "here" for a few years now. :pt1cable:

I have an old Samsung Mastersync 2032BW monitor:
It's a 20 inch 1680x1050 at 60 Hz (Aspect Ratio 16:10) and even though it's still in perfect conditions I think it's about time to upgrade.
And from the specs any new monitor would be quite the upgrade :D

So I almost feel into the error of purchasing a TN (Twisted Nematic) monitor like the AOC G2770PQU.
...I lie. I actually ordered it but then they called me saying it was discontinued from production and wanted to give me other alternatives over the phone. Good thing I asked them to send me an email so I could research more. That's when I learned about the different LCD displays (TN, IPS and VA).

I kept doing my research for decent monitors and I eliminated them by comparing each specs and I got down/stuck to two. I can't decide even though they aren't that similar. I'll show you below and hopefully you people could provide me some feedback that'll help me choose.

Samsung LC27F591FDU Curved 27 Inch
71%2BtRWq7JqL._SL1000_.jpg

Resolution
1920x1080

Screen Mode
FHD

Panel Type
VA

Brightness
250 cd/m²

Contrast Ratio Static
3000:1

Viewing Angle (Horizontal/Vertical)
178°/178°

Resolution
2560 x 1440

Screen Mode
WQHD

Panel Type
IPS

Brightness
350 Nit

Contrast Ratio
100,000,000:1

I didn't include some of the specs since they are the same like the aspect ratio and response time. Also the price is pretty much the same. Amazon.es has them at 333€ and 316€ respectively.
The type of usage I'll give it's diverse as I like to mess around with Photoshop, Illustrator and some occasional video editing, playing games (PC gaming masterrace).
But mate... I will absolutely sit back and relax to videos (Youtube, TV series, etc) for most the time so that's a must! (from experience with my crap display viewing angles are important here. I missed half Game of Thrones scenes because of all the unwatchable dark scenes :D)

In conclusion, both are good in general and fit quite nicely my needs. The only difference, that might be important or not to me as it's subjective, is the resolution.
So what I think I'm trying to figure out is 27'' 1080p or 25'' 1440p?

If you guys have any others aspects you think might be worth pointing out feel free to do so.

My Best Regards,
CubriC

ps: I'm sorry for the images size being so big. Not sure there's a scaling option.

Solution
If you'll be sitting at a desk, I'd go for the smaller 1440p monitor. You'll notice a definite difference in quality if you're that close.
If you'll be sat more than a couple of metres away though, either would probably be fine.
You might want to see if you can demo a curved monitor first, in a physical store or something, since you might not really prefer it.

Oh, and for gaming and general use at 1440p, I can definitely vouch for BenQ's 27" GW2765HT. On Amazon it's slightly more than both of those monitors, but I'd still say it's worth it. 1440p just gives you way more screen space, really useful for editing and general use.

Mattib 050

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
If you'll be sitting at a desk, I'd go for the smaller 1440p monitor. You'll notice a definite difference in quality if you're that close.
If you'll be sat more than a couple of metres away though, either would probably be fine.
You might want to see if you can demo a curved monitor first, in a physical store or something, since you might not really prefer it.

Oh, and for gaming and general use at 1440p, I can definitely vouch for BenQ's 27" GW2765HT. On Amazon it's slightly more than both of those monitors, but I'd still say it's worth it. 1440p just gives you way more screen space, really useful for editing and general use.

Solution

CubriC

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
Yeah, I've been told once you go 1440p you don't go back. I was just wondering if that resolution on a 25'' was worth it over a 27'' 1080p.
Thanks for the input mate.