specs: intel core i7 6700k
cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
motherboard: gigabyte h170 gaming 3
Storage: 1tb seagate 7200rpm hdd, 120gb kingston ssd
graphics: integrated graphics
ram: 16gb crucial ballistic sport ddr4
psu: FSP Group 600W ATX Single Rail Power Supply
headphones: apple earphones via 3.5mm, turtlebeach p11 via usb

and i use my turtle beach ones as my main headset and it plugs in with usb. After about 2 months of using the new pc my mic on my 4 year old headset broke so i decided to use a spare i had lying around. This spare one plugs in via 3.5mm jack on both headphone and microphone jack. When i plugged in the headset, the audio worked normally but the mic would not work. Since i used a usb headset i never noticed this problem before. Now i couldnt figure out what was wrong so i thought it was a driver issue so i tried reinstalling the realtek audio driver but i just ended up making things worse and now i cant even get sound anymore. If i use usb then i do get sound but if i use the 3.5mm jack i get the little mute symbol on the bottom right. All my drivers are up to date and I have already checked services and windows audio and audio endpoint builder are both running and are on automatic. Troubleshooting says the following:

Back Pannel:
under the detailed tab it says issues found:
Audio services not reponding not fixed
restart audio devices completed
the speaker, headset, or headphone is unplugged not fixed
plug in speaker headset or headphone informational
potential issues that were checked
One or more audio service isnt running issue not present
Audio device is disabled issue not present
under device state it says
state: unplugged
status code: 8
help link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363230(VS.85).aspx

my headphone IS plugged in and the audio manager recognizes it but it says unplugged
also i have no idea what anything on that webpage means
On the front panel:
it says issues found:
audio services not responding not fixed
restart audio device completed
Audio device is disabled not fixed
the audio device you currently selected is turned off in windows
enable this audio device completed
enable the selected audio device to play or receive sound
potential issues that were checked
one or more audio service isnt running issue not present

any and all help is appreciated
Thanks

Solution
Try running "Troubleshoot audio problems".

Also look in the Event Viewer logs to see if there are any entries related to sound/audio problems. Especially entries with error codes or warnings. An information entry may even help so check those as well. Right-clicking any given entry will provide more detail.

If nothing turns up the problem may be hardware related.

I would doublecheck all internal connections and card seatings. Carefully look at any audio related connection ports, connectors, and cables.

Something may be broken or shorted out.

Ralston18

Titan
The spare headphones being the Apple headphones - correct?

Apple uses their own proprietary connectivity with respect to the 3.5mm plugs.

Physically they will plug in but not work.

Headphones use a variety of 3.5 mm plugs: TS, TRS, TRSS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) depending on mono, stereo, microphone, etc...

Lots of related diagrams on the internet showing the various connections (pinouts).

Borrow and try some other set of heaphones (non-Apple) and see if they work. At least take the Apple headphones out as a matter of elimination.

infinitephase

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016

Sorry i may have forgot to mention but my apple headphones were working before when i first built my computer so i dont think that is the issue. I had a logitech plug in microphone which i tried to plug in but i could not get it to work. At this point i tried to re-install my audio drivers. After reinstalling the audio driver, i no longer was able to get sound from my apple headphones. They worked before. I did however try other headphones. I tried a pair of moshi mytho's and the Logitech Stereo Headset H110. The problem persisted with both pairs.
Thanks for the reply though

Ralston18

Titan
Try running "Troubleshoot audio problems".

Also look in the Event Viewer logs to see if there are any entries related to sound/audio problems. Especially entries with error codes or warnings. An information entry may even help so check those as well. Right-clicking any given entry will provide more detail.

If nothing turns up the problem may be hardware related.

I would doublecheck all internal connections and card seatings. Carefully look at any audio related connection ports, connectors, and cables.

Something may be broken or shorted out.

Solution