Help with tutoring pricing and repair/maintenance pricing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenda_32

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
I have been reading a lot in the forums. I live in a small town, it is over 20 miles to a town with big stores. Electronics are everywhere. Here there is no one to help out, diagnose or repair a computer, tablet or phone. No one to show you how to use your computer.
Working from home cuts costs and gives me freedom to do other things. We have many seniors in our community, basically we are a tourist town and have lots of retirees here.
I have been asked to tutor/teach someone on how to use their computer, with current OS and with an upgrade OS. Easy enough. Yet how do you give them a price? I have the time and knowledge, they need someone, but pricing for this is new to me.

For tutoring, hourly or flat rate? Guideline for reasonable price?
For repairs/maintenance is it better to do hourly or per job pricing?
Any advise, input would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

Tutoring should always be calculated hourly. Create programs to keep your teaching on focus. For example, four hours of introduction to the web, two hours of online safety, etc... Then, at the same hourly rate, work with them on any new areas that creep up or which they appear interested in.

Repair and maintenace are generally priced on an hourly estimate based on what it would take a skilled individual to complete the task. You must review your state/province/country's consumer protection laws to see what you may be required to do or are prohibited from doing.

For example, if you estimate that it will take one hour to clean a PC and replace the PSU and your hourly rate is $50 you may be prohibited from then spending five hours on the job and billing the client $250 without the client's consent.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.