USB3 Ports Don't Work?

SIR_MagZz

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Hi. I've been using USB 3 ports on my PC for a long time, and they stopped working APPARENTLY due to a recent windows update. USB 2 ports work however, and USB 3 ports work in safe mode. It all makes no sense to me, so any help is appreciated.

Michael.

Solution
usb 3 driver updates sometimes require a BIOS update to support them. If windows detects that the USB drivers are messing up, it could have updated your generic USB 3 drivers and then they would not work because it can not update the BIOS for your.
(generally bios versions after about march of 2013 work correctly for usb 3.0, not sure of the date for usb 3.1)

so check for a BIOS update for your motherboard vendor website for a BIOS update and for any USB 3.0 driver updates.

there are also some conditions that will cause usb ports to be shutdown. (too much current being used, mostly because of apple products that violate the rules on how much current to use. Custom driver will allow the violation but if they got updated by windows...
usb 3 driver updates sometimes require a BIOS update to support them. If windows detects that the USB drivers are messing up, it could have updated your generic USB 3 drivers and then they would not work because it can not update the BIOS for your.
(generally bios versions after about march of 2013 work correctly for usb 3.0, not sure of the date for usb 3.1)

so check for a BIOS update for your motherboard vendor website for a BIOS update and for any USB 3.0 driver updates.

there are also some conditions that will cause usb ports to be shutdown. (too much current being used, mostly because of apple products that violate the rules on how much current to use. Custom driver will allow the violation but if they got updated by windows to microsoft's generic drivers they might shut down the port to protect the devices and just make a log enrty)

Solution

SIR_MagZz

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016

Thank you! I'll give it a try later.

TRENDING THREADS