Installing Windows 10 to new HDD, can't create partition (or install in general)

TVo855

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
So, I recently bought a new HDD (specifically, a WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive) and am attempting to install Windows 10 to it from scratch. I am using a USB, and can get through almost all of the setup until the end when I have to choose where I am installing W10 to. When I try to click "next", it doesn't work. I cannot create a new partition, and it can't find an existing one.

I have tried a million fixes, and have looked through a million fixes on this site and others and have not found anything that works yet. If anyone has any clue what to do, that would be nice.

(I've looked at other threads and have tried their solutions of: Formatting the drive using DISKPART command, unplugging the USB drive at different points of installation, made sure SATA controllers are enabled in BIOS settings, and probably a few others)

Solution
Welcome to the TH community, @TVo855!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the newly acquired WD Blue drive. :( Have you also tried swapping the SATA ports and the SATA cable connecting the drive? I'd recommend you try plugging the HDD to another computer and see how it will get recognized there. If you can get it properly detected there, try formatting it through Disk Management in Windows. If you don't have access to another PC, download Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for DOS and test your WD Blue drive by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests. They will help us determine the health and SMART status of the HDD.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the TH community, @TVo855!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the newly acquired WD Blue drive. :( Have you also tried swapping the SATA ports and the SATA cable connecting the drive? I'd recommend you try plugging the HDD to another computer and see how it will get recognized there. If you can get it properly detected there, try formatting it through Disk Management in Windows. If you don't have access to another PC, download Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for DOS and test your WD Blue drive by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests. They will help us determine the health and SMART status of the HDD.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Your problems very simple, can ge very frustrating for newbies, get a refund on your hdd and get a sdd, my windows 7 boots up faster on hdd then w10, so choose ehat ever hdd or ssd, but atleast swap it. Its not a good idea to partition on a system just installing a os, You'll want a clean install, and windows 10 demands to be connect via sata cable internalky, no USB bridges even if the drive works.