Warning to users of Msi Afterburner - software glitch causing fps drops.

G

Let me start off by saying im no novice, this is 100% not error by me. So I have just installed a new Gtx 960 and performed a clean install of windows 10 with a followup of the usual routine of installing the basics like antivirus and also Msi afterburner so I can see the in-game temps of my new gpu.

I tested my first readings yesterday with no problems while playing Far Cry 3 at 60fps and then turned the pc off only to turn it back on today with a problem. My Fps was half of what it was yesterday with the exact same settings which left me baffled. A glance at my in game monitoring temps/usage showed only 50% of my gpu being used while temps were cool at around 45 degrees. Now I have never trusted Msi afterburner and im paranoid as shit about overclocking software so I alt tab out of game and click reset on the MSI afterburner settings (even though nothing had changed and I didn't touch anything) and wallah gpu usage back to normal and fps back to 60fps.

Now why this is happened is beyond me, But 1 thing is for certain - I did not change any overclocking settings, I even made sure to remember the settings when first installed to make sure nothing changes each time i start it up (very paranoid about overclocking utilities I only used it to see in game temps). So this is soley the softwares problem. It seems to me it had changed something itself without me touching it, and not even showing any different voltages, clock etc. . Then you could say well if nothing different was showing, nothing changed... But then why did my gpu go back to 100% when i clicked reset? Answer that.

So I instantly uninstalled it and am going to perform a reinstall of windows to make sure it didn't mess with anything. From now on I will use HWmonitor and Fraps to see my stats.

Solution
I have seen dozens of bugcheck 0x124 cases where people thought the driver was not making overclock changes. Removing the driver prevented the bugcheck. It still tweaks on something even if you just want to monitor the gpu.

I have seen dozens of bugcheck 0x124 cases where people thought the driver was not making overclock changes. Removing the driver prevented the bugcheck. It still tweaks on something even if you just want to monitor the gpu.

Solution