How much performance will I lose with DDR3 and Skylake?

gartersnake184

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
I just bought new ddr3 16gb ram, and I heard that a lot of the newer cpu's require ddr4. However, I found a motherboard that supports ddr3, so if I buy the i7 6700k and keep ddr3 instead of ddr4, how much performance will I lose?

StoneyCashew

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
Alright so DDR3 start at speeds of 800 Million transfers a second and go up to 2133 MT's. DDR4 starts at where DDR3 ends, and goes up. There is also an increase in bandwidth on the DDR4 side. I can't really give you a percentage, but there is quite a difference between the two. Keep in mind the price difference as well depending on the size your pick. Good luck on your endeavors!

Greasy Pommel

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
As far as I know, the only type of DDR3 RAM that works with Skylake CPU's on LGA 1151 is DDR3L, which is most likely different from the type that you bought. Since you already bought 16 GB of DDR3 RAM, you may want to buy an LGA 1150 CPU from the previous generation. Otherwise, you'll need DDR4 RAM for the i7 6700k.

Purely performance-wise, you won't really notice anything outside of benchmarks.

What motherboard did you find that supports DDR3 on Skylake? In my recollection, it needs to be DDR3L, not DDR3.

I may be wrong though, which is why I'm asking what motherboard you're looking at.

The motherboard supports regular DDR3, but the CPU's memory controller doesn't, at least not officially. Regular DDR3 can work with Skylake CPUs, but you do run the risk of burning out the CPU's memory controller over long term usage. Honestly, I don't know why you're really considering a CPU upgrade if you have the rig in your signature. The 6700k isn't going to be much better aside from the higher stock clocks and overclocking potential. If you insist on upgrading to Skylake, I'd return the 16GB of DDR3 if you can and get DDR4 instead.