2560x1080 34" TV the same as a Monitor for Gaming?

lacrimosa09

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
I use only FSX (Flight Simulator, NO FPS). Can you tell me if I may have the same performance with a TV as a monitor with the same size and resolution?

Solution
Besides Resolution there are still differences between TVs, and Monitors. TVs commonly do signal processing on incoming signals. They do this to Upscale, Downscale, Overlay TV user interface, Or otherwise adapt the input signal to the TVs unique qualities. Monitor's tend to do much less signal processing thus allowing for much faster input latency. Both Monitors, And TVs do this. TVs more commonly introduce input latency. That said there are TVs out there that allow for custom modes (IE Game Mode) of operation that can cut down on that significantly. As for performance of the card pushing either a TV or Monitor. There should be no difference Resolution for equal resolution on either. Again with the exception of Input latency being the...

metathias

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Besides Resolution there are still differences between TVs, and Monitors. TVs commonly do signal processing on incoming signals. They do this to Upscale, Downscale, Overlay TV user interface, Or otherwise adapt the input signal to the TVs unique qualities. Monitor's tend to do much less signal processing thus allowing for much faster input latency. Both Monitors, And TVs do this. TVs more commonly introduce input latency. That said there are TVs out there that allow for custom modes (IE Game Mode) of operation that can cut down on that significantly. As for performance of the card pushing either a TV or Monitor. There should be no difference Resolution for equal resolution on either. Again with the exception of Input latency being the real concern. Just make sure any tv you use has either a reasonable input latency out of the box, or can be configured to do so.

Solution

lacrimosa09

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016

What would be a nice input latency to consider?

lacrimosa09

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016

How can I check the refresh on a TV? What would the a good value?

metathias

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Actually refresh rates are not directly related to input latency. TVs dont often have alot of specs on their input latency (mainly because their usually pretty bad). However that does'nt mean a TV cant be a decent gaming display, Just depends what your using it for.