New Graphics Card Not Working

LanceCassidy859

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
Hello all,

So I just received my new video card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127874

I checked PCPartPicker.com PRIOR to purchasing and this card is supposedly compatible with my BioStar Hi-Fi A85W Motherboard and my system build However, I've plugged in the card, updated all drivers for the card and my system and it still doesn't seem to work.

How do I change my system settings to use THIS card instead of the on-board video card that came with the build?

I apologize in advance if this is something simple but I'm not that great with the hardware side of computers.

You should be able to configure in Bios for GPU priority as it may be set for iGPU only.
Should be Automatic however this doesn't always happen.

Compatibility is not the issue as your MB has 2 x PCI-E x16 2.0 Slot(x16 + x4)

If your not sure I will get your User manual and advise on settings.

Please list the rest of your system specs. PSU wattage and tier rating, CPU etc.

LanceCassidy859

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
The parts of my System that might have any effect on the car are as follows:
- AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
- Biostar Hi-Fi A85W ATX FM2 Motherboard
- COUGAR RSB400 400 Watt 80-Plus Power Supply
- G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
- Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

I'm also using Windows 10 Home x64

UPDATE: Based on what smorizio said, I'm now thinking this is definitely a power supply issue. I had no problems with my system last night but when I booted up this morning it was to a black screen. I turned the system off, unplugged the graphics card from the power supply and now I can boot properly.

That power supply is bronze rated, of questionable quality and insufficient Wattage for your requirements.

LanceCassidy859

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
Well...rats.

Is there any way to reduce tinker with my settings so the card CAN run with my current setup or do I just need to buy a new power supply too?

Your PSU is the life blood of your system Lance and arguably the most important.
A failing PSU can cause damage and not worth the risk.
Get a 650-850W gold certified unit by EVGA or Seasonic, being good quality units.

No point in tinkering M8 it's had it's day.

as it under 30 days return the card. pick up one of the newer faster gpu after you replace the power supply. the newer gpu that are dropping from amd and nvidia use less power then the card you have now. the new 1060 uses 120w max.
250.00 gpu.

LanceCassidy859

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Appreciate the recommendation but I think this card will work just fine for what I need. Really only using it for a select few Steam games and recording games and webcam through OBS.

As for a new power supply, I checked and this one should be compatible with my build but I just want to confirm with the experts. Again, I apologize. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to hardware.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817438018

LanceCassidy859

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Sounds good! Looks like Newegg is getting some more of my money!

Thanks for your help smorizio and MeanMachine41!