Crossfire RX480 or GTX 1060

Gryphon69-1

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Hi Everyone!

I am planning to purchase a new GPU but can't decide whether i should get a single Rx480 now and get later another one for crossfire or to get the GTX 1060 and just upgrade in another 2 years. i am also planning on to run AAA games in 1440p.

Solution
I agree with bicycle_repair_man. The 1060 is marginally faster than a Rx480. The main trouble I see with your logic is the upgrade in another 2 years argument. It sounds good on paper, but in real life what happens is that in 2 years another 2 generation later it makes a lot more sense to just get a new generation mainstream card than to get another aging Rx480. Remember this is while from now and new cards will come out 2017 and 2018 still.
I know this from past experience, and in the end I always ended up buying a new card because I wanted more RAM I wanted faster bus or more shaders or new directX or whatever. Also, the hassle of dealing with Crossfire or SLI is a serious one that one does not have to deal with on a single faster...
For the price of an RX 480 in Crossfire you could get a single GTX 1070, which uses less power, emits less heat and offers better stability as not all games get along with multiple GPUs.

Both the RX 480 and GTX 1060 offer good 1440p 60hz performance now, but that may not be the case in a couple of years.

Most reviews say there's not a great difference in performance and in most instances the 1060 wins in benchmarks, so I guess it comes down to brand loyalty.
You would need decent case cooling cause two in crossfire would generate a lot of heat.

My money would be on the GTX 1060.

Gryphon69-1

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
My budget doesn't allow the GTX 1070 price so that's why i thought off getting one x480 now and in a couple of months a second one but i am not sure on the crossfire gives stable performance

gaborbarla

Distinguished
I agree with bicycle_repair_man. The 1060 is marginally faster than a Rx480. The main trouble I see with your logic is the upgrade in another 2 years argument. It sounds good on paper, but in real life what happens is that in 2 years another 2 generation later it makes a lot more sense to just get a new generation mainstream card than to get another aging Rx480. Remember this is while from now and new cards will come out 2017 and 2018 still.
I know this from past experience, and in the end I always ended up buying a new card because I wanted more RAM I wanted faster bus or more shaders or new directX or whatever. Also, the hassle of dealing with Crossfire or SLI is a serious one that one does not have to deal with on a single faster card.

The recommendation goes: Get the single fastest card now, and sell it in 2 years time and get another fastest card you can get in 2 years time.

My opinion.
Hope this helps,
Gabor

Solution

Steve_Nz

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
I'm in the same situation, trying to decide to get the 1060 or the 480. I know the 1060 is a faster single card, but i'm also looking for a pairing with an adaptive sync monitor. From what i see G-Sync monitors and significantly more expensive than free-sync monitors. I would really love to stay with nvidia, but AMD is really hitting that price/performance spot, not just for GPU's but display set ups, cards, monitors etc
Would also like to state that its been 3 years since my last GPU upgrade, so i plan on this one sticking around for a while, also have a 4k TV which i like to hook up from time to time so for me thats more of an incentive to go crossfire after a month or so.

Gryphon69-1

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

Gryphon69-1

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

Gryphon69-1

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

intrepix

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008

intrepix

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I would strongly recommend you wait as the XFX RX 480 dual dissipation card is already on schedule and will soon be released to retailers. If you would like to see and read the specs on this newer version of this RX 480 card, just do a websearch for the XFX RX 480 dual dissipation card