Dual Boot on SSD, unhealthy?

prac daske

Honorable
Mar 11, 2016
Hello Everyone!
I was about to install Ubuntu on my pc, which actually had Windows 10 as OS by default. But i read im some guides that the read and write process of 2 OS may affect the SDD's useful life..
Then i think to install Ubuntu install ubuntu in another partition... but! i dont know if GRU will detect the 2 SO when i boot my PC.

My questions are: ¿Is there any away (simple and easy) to install Ubuntu in the same partition that windows is, without damage the SSD? (if it is true that it damage the SSD)
¿Is there a way to put /home and... other directories on the HDD instead the SSD?

If not: ¿Will the GRU detect the the 2 SO's independently wich partition they are?

Thanks a lot beforehand!

Solution

No, SSDs should not overwrite other partition's data. Windows can accidentally install onto an ubuntu partition if you select it but once you have 2 partitions 1 windows , 1 ubuntu it should be safe after that.

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
I am no linux expert, so just partial opinion:

You either run one system or the other one, why would storage of other's system cold data reduce lifespan of the SSD? That's pretty weird, do you have source link for those claims?

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Since windows 7 wear leveling (trim) functionality has been available on OS level. This means that the Operating system can enhance the usable lifetime of your SSD for the partitions that it has access to. Since the Ubuntu will (should be) on another partition it will do its own leveling. Besides this, SSDs have what you call over-provisioning (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification#Over-provisioning)
which is why you can access only 240 gigs of a 256gb SSD out of the box. This over-provisioning varies from drive to drive and sometimes you can even modify it with software and increase the drives lifetime or reduce the over-provisioning to much smaller space.
You can read about TRIM and over-provisioning here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification#Over-provisioning

You should not really have to worry about this in my opinion. Create 2 seperate partitions, one for each OS. Those parts of the drive will be treated separately by the installed OSs and the only reason why wear would be more is because if you use the one partition much more than the other. Then whenever you write, the SSD will cycle through free space only on the partition that is allocated to the drive that is used more. This is why it is good to keep some empty space on your SSD for longevity, but even if you don't it is OK. Also, SSD life has really improved in the past 3 years. Now I never ever worry about wearing my SSDs out. It is really hard to do in our lives. At work I use a 120gb intel 330 SSD for the past 3-4 years and I have written many TB of data to it as I recompile huge software every day. It has still only used less than 1% of my media wearout on the drive. Same goes for my 256Gb Vertex 4 Drive at home.

I think basically forget about this problem, it doesn't really exist on a level where it would affect you.
Gabor

prac daske

Honorable
Mar 11, 2016
Sorry.. i just cleaned the history...
Isnt the other's system cold data... its more like the Read, write, and erasure cycle of the two SO's and their programs on same unit.

Sorry for my poor English...

gaborbarla

Distinguished

No, SSDs should not overwrite other partition's data. Windows can accidentally install onto an ubuntu partition if you select it but once you have 2 partitions 1 windows , 1 ubuntu it should be safe after that.

Solution

prac daske

Honorable
Mar 11, 2016

Thank you so much for your answer Gaborbarla! The information provided reassures me.