100% DIsk usage after downloading a movie that was uploaded by the name ETRG.

infernus_titan

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
I just stupidly downloaded a movie from an uploader named ETRG.After some googling I found it to be a possible malware. Haven't tried anyting yet.please help

Solution
real problem is about 100% disk usage not about how to download material. I was just making a guess as to the cause of the 100% disk usage.

--------------

well, you have to figure out what process is using the disk system, then figure out why.
there are a lot of potential bugs that crop up and services do not handle the error conditions well.
most of the time you find the error in generic service host and have to use process monitor to figure out which subservice is having the problem. Then you have to fix the problem and restart the service.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

also, make sure you update the network driver to a current version if you have not done so. I have seen many virus...

infernus_titan

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from infernus_titan : "100% DIsk usage after downloading a movie that was uploaded by the name ETRG."

I just stupidly downloaded a movie from an uploader named ETRG.After some googling I found it to be a possible malware. Haven't tried anyting yet.please help

ETRG is a label for a certain "brand" of warez rips of movies shared over P2P networks.

I would suspect you just have a torrent program running in the background that is using your machine to share the downloads.
so it is using your machines network and disk to act as a P2P server.

I would stop this program or set the program to never share your files.
many of these programs will share by default to increase the rate at which programs can be downloaded by others.
Start task manager and look for any task that has the word torrent in it.
like utorrent.exe and terminate it. These programs also often are set to automatically start up when your machine boots, You generally want to not do that. run the program and go thru its settings or stop using the program. In some jurisdictions it is unlawful to download movies without permission of the copy write owner. Many cable providers will track the download and send you a nasty cease and desist letter and may provide info to copy write owners so they can sue you. It is why people use a VPN

a large portion of the software you could download will have malware and virus pre installed, You will want to run a virus scanner and malwarebytes. Some are more might require you to install specific versions of real software that they know have bugs that allow them to hack you.

Some companies put up bait files so they can track you down and send you a demand letter for over $3000 or threaten a lawsuit.
(at least in the USA) basically it can say give us $3000 now and we will not sue you for the $100,000 you could lose in court.
(depends on the number of files downloaded and how many people upload from your, violations are per file)

infernus_titan

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

Thanks for the reply but the windows 8 has a weird problem thats occurs sometimes.For e.g a task is interrupted by the user or any other program sometimes the windows take it to a 100% disk usage. That happened to me once when i was playing a game on steam and somehow it crashed on a certain point during multitasking on other programmed I popped. The disk usage went to 100% for few days. I just repeated that procedure and it got fixed.I know it sounds dumb but it really worked.
Same as now the disk usage is normal again. I am not sure that movie was a virus,etc or not but it spammed my vlc player error and there was no stopping it like something triggered a trojan.

real problem is about 100% disk usage not about how to download material. I was just making a guess as to the cause of the 100% disk usage.

--------------

well, you have to figure out what process is using the disk system, then figure out why.
there are a lot of potential bugs that crop up and services do not handle the error conditions well.
most of the time you find the error in generic service host and have to use process monitor to figure out which subservice is having the problem. Then you have to fix the problem and restart the service.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

also, make sure you update the network driver to a current version if you have not done so. I have seen many virus scanners and streaming software have problems that were actually caused by a old network driver bug.

You would also make sure you update your SATA drivers, chipset drivers and maybe the BIOS if it is out of date.

after you identify the process that is using the disk, you can stop the service and try to figure out why it is not completing its operation. (generally some error condition)

- you could also just start pausing or stopping suspected services while you watch task managers disk activity.
until you figure out which service is causing the load.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS