Cannot reinstall windows 10

Jb1392

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Trying to reset my pc (as in wipe hard drive and reinstall windows 10) windows starts the process, but the computer just shuts down partway through. When I boot it back up everything is the way I left it. For some reason I cannot reinstall the os.

Solution
there are two ways to fix this, we can try to fix the reset process or you can do a fresh install using the windows 10 media creation tool to make a Win 10 installer.

fixing reset may not work but if you don't want to wipe c drive and start again (IE, can't back up documents and other files elsewhere) it is worth a try. Depending how this goes you might need to use the media creation tool to make an ISO

right click start button and choose control panel (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter

once its scanned copy/paste this into same window (spacing is important)
type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter

1st command checks files on system and can fix part of problem, the other command cleans...

Colif

Win 11 Master
there are two ways to fix this, we can try to fix the reset process or you can do a fresh install using the windows 10 media creation tool to make a Win 10 installer.

fixing reset may not work but if you don't want to wipe c drive and start again (IE, can't back up documents and other files elsewhere) it is worth a try. Depending how this goes you might need to use the media creation tool to make an ISO

right click start button and choose control panel (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter

once its scanned copy/paste this into same window (spacing is important)
type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter

1st command checks files on system and can fix part of problem, the other command cleans the image that Windows uses to do the reset that isn't working for you.

if DISM tells you "cannot find source files" then you need to mount an ISO of Windows 10 using http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3579-iso-img-file-mount-unmount-windows-10-a.html
then run the command below and replace X with the drive letter assigned to the ISO

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

if this seems too complicated, just do a fresh install - follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Solution