What happens to unactivated versions of Windows 10 on July 29th?

Gilbertify

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
I've been using an unactivated version of Windows 10 basically since it released. I used a bootable drive and just skipped the product key activation. Is my unactivated version good forever or no?

Solution
unactivated window is not a pirate version of windows.
basically you start down a timeline(180 days I think), where you will be nagged to activate, then they stop letting you do certain features, and at some point you are only allowed to activate.

OR you can sign up for the microsoft preview program https://insider.windows.com/
and and then switch your build to the slow ring so it is not updated so often.
bugs and error reports are sent to microsoft as they occur. (just like on regular version of windows)

if you drop out of the program, your license activation timer might start again.

I really figure it does not matter anyway, windows 10 license already indicates you have to update your OS withing 6 months.

(your unactivated...
unactivated window is not a pirate version of windows.
basically you start down a timeline(180 days I think), where you will be nagged to activate, then they stop letting you do certain features, and at some point you are only allowed to activate.

OR you can sign up for the microsoft preview program https://insider.windows.com/
and and then switch your build to the slow ring so it is not updated so often.
bugs and error reports are sent to microsoft as they occur. (just like on regular version of windows)

if you drop out of the program, your license activation timer might start again.

I really figure it does not matter anyway, windows 10 license already indicates you have to update your OS withing 6 months.

(your unactivated version might be activated if there was a bios key already in the machine)

Solution

Gilbertify

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016

I got a media creation tool from Microsoft themselves. It's legitimate, just not activated because I skipped product key activation.

Gilbertify

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016

Alright, I think that neatly sums it up. Guess I will need to get a key down the line then. Thank you!

Colif

Win 11 Master
currently all that happens is you get a watermark on desktop you cannot remove and it sort of restricts your ability to change desktop wallpaper. That is it, it doesn't mean that is the only restriction you will ever face as Microsoft can soon add more penalties.

Gilbertify

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016

Thanks!