Looking for opinions on a new build I am thinking about.

DAXgs2

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Hello everyone. It has been about 15 years since I last built a PC from the ground up. I am sick of my current set up and its time to build a new one. I do play games, and so do my kids. These games include wow, cod, FO4 etc. Nothing insane or any multi boxing or anything. I do use adobe programs, Auto Cad, MS Office..

I want to be able to play my games on Ultra with no problems, I also want to get longevity out of this. So I want to buy the best that I need (maybe a bit over what I need) that will last. I guess the way I see it is an I3 Skylake is cheap and decent, but an I7 will work better spec wise in 5 years.

Anyways here is what I have put together so far, and I am open to suggestions and any criticism, as I do not want to be stuck with anything I will not be happy with.

• ■CPU - Intel I7 6700K ($350 @ new egg, $309 @ Micro Center)
    - Intel I5 6600K ($250 @ new egg, $209 @ Micro Center)

---For $100 cheaper I would get the I5 6600K. But I need convincing that I do not need the I7! Are the only real differences the speed and multi-threading??? If so, I may just go with the I5

■MOBO - MSI M5 ($174 @ new egg, $150 somewhere on eBay)
    - MSI M7 ($215 @ new egg, $188 somewhere on eBay)

--- At first I was stuck between the 2 MSI's but then I found something that I like much better;

- GIGABYTE G1 Gaming 7 ($209 @ new egg)

--- Thoughts??

■GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 960 4 GB ($245 @ new egg)
    - GIGABYTE GTX 960 - 2 GB ($185 @ new egg)

--- $60 difference. Thoughts?? Also, is there going to be a huge difference between PCIe 2.0 and 3.0? Is it just a concern for future upgrades and mobos not being equipped with 2.0? I could save some money by going 2.0, and the benchmarks seem comparable. But I do not want to buy a gpu and save $75 when it wont work on a future mobo if need be.

■RAM - Crucial 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 x 2 ($34 @ new egg)

--- Is the latency of 15 ok on these? They seem comparable to many of the higher priced sticks minus the fancy heat sinks.

■CPU HS / FAN - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ($20 @ new egg)

--- I do not need anything fancy or excessive. Just want something that will keep the cpu cool. I could go for a led fan, but do not really care either way.

■HD Storage - WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX - ($50 @ new egg, $40 @ eBay)

■SSD - I know there are millions of these out there. I am looking for suggestions on these and my only parameters are that it fits windows 10, common programs and some games. I added up the space and 120 GB seems to be OK, but I am open to more space if the price is right and the speeds are good. The speed is the most important part, as this I am not buying this for storage.

■PSU - Thermaltake SMART SP-650PCBUS 650W - ($60 @ new egg, $40 somewhere on eBay)

--- I am also open to suggestions. I have read all about this 80 + bronze, silver, gold stuff and I personally am not sold. So unless there is something that I am missing and not just gold uses less power and gives less heat than bronze, then I will stick with bronze.

I have always like thermaltake for some reason, that is why I flock to them, but can branch out. I also did not look too far into how much power I will need, just figured 650W was a safe place to start.

■CASE - ENERMAX OSTROG ECA3253-BR - ($44.99 @ Frys)

--- I like the options for air flow with 2 side fans, 2 top fans, 1 back and 1 front and bottom ( I think). I also like the price. Open for suggestions.

This is just some things that I am looking at. I wanted to get peoples opinions and make sure I am not missing anything. Money is always an object, but I am not going to miss out on something much better over a 100 bucks. So again, I am open to suggestions and positive / constructive criticism on all the above listed parts. The only things I am set in stone about is:

• ■ Must be Intel Skylake
    ■ No AMD CPU, GPU or others
    ■ I have priced the above parts at about $977 after shopping around (not all prices are listed for the lowest I have seen above) and I would like to keep it around $1,000. This price included the i7, so I would save $100 by going i5.

Thank you for reading and taking any time to respond! Sorry for the mess, I tried to make this as neat as possible!

Zedjulz316

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
First to answer some of your questions:
In terms of future proofing, the i7 is going to be the best option. DX12 now uses those extra threads and more cores now mean better performance.

For the pcie slot, 3.0 and 2.0 don't really influence the actual preformance of the GPU but with Skylake it stands to reason that all slots should be 3.0

A latency of 15 is standard for most consumer kits.

For the SSD 120GB would be enough for the OS and some games but if more than 2~3 AAA games are to be installed than I definitely recommend getting a 256GB SSD. Personally, I recommend the 850 Evo from SamSung.

Now some things I've noticed:

The motherboards you've chosen are goof if not excellent but they would be underutilized without a bigger cooler and more aggrrsive OC of the CPU. I would recommend something like the Z170 krait or Carbon to save some perf/dollar.

Also the gtx 960 might not be the best option. Go for a 1060 with the money you can save from the MOBO. Also Id go for an i5 and a 1060 rather than an i7 with a 960 in terms of performance.

Finally, 550w would be plenty for your system. Perhaps you can relocate some money by going for a lower wattage.

Have a good day!
:)