Running Windows 7 on 1 TB HDD, due my upgrade to Windows 10. New build, can I get my Windows 10 upgrade on my new SSD?

helppls101

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
TL;DR; Building an entirely new computer with an SSD as storage. I want Windows 10 on that SSD. I have an HDD with Windows 7 that is due an upgrade to Windows 10. Is it possible for my free Windows 10 upgrade to be installed on my new SSD?

Hello there,

There are many threads about the issue of upgrading to Windows 10 with it apparently only being able to be used on a single machine. However, after hours of searching I just cannot find my answer, so have decided to make this thread.

After 5 years of having this machine running Windows 7, many advances in technology have persuaded me that it is time to build a new computer myself. I have put off upgrading to Windows 10 for the past year as I thought it would need some time to fix all of the post-release bugs and various issues. However, with the 29th July deadline almost here giving users of the previous iterations of Windows the chance to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, I decided that it is the right time to upgrade now than having to buy Windows 10 after the offer is no longer available.

However, there are some things that are in the way of me building my new computer. As I am upgrading from a 1 TB HDD to a 250GB SSD (undecided), Is it possible by any means to get the free Windows 10 upgrade on my SSD rather than my HDD running Windows 7?

This is my first new build so perhaps I sound naive about somethings. Ideally, I want to build my new computer, install my current HDD, then let Windows 7 get the drivers for all of the new hardware. After that I install my new SSD and activate the upgrade for Windows 10, I select to install it on the SSD rather than the HDD. Does this method allow me to install Windows 10 on my SSD?

If this method is not viable, is it possible to put all the data (Operating System included) from my HDD on my SSD (perhaps by cloning?), boot using the SSD as the primary drive instead of the HDD, and then upgrade to Windows 10 on the SSD and leave the HDD with Windows 7?

Thanks for reading and hopefully hear from some of you soon :)

Solution

From your original:
"Building an entirely new computer..."

The Win 7 license on your current PC...is this an OEM license? Probably.
If so, that is tied to that original motherboard.
If it is a Retail license, it can be moved to a new system. Leaving your old system without an OS.

For a new PC, the...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Go to that site to download the Media Creation Tool to create a USB or ISO of a Windows 10 installation.

Install Windows 10 and use your Windows 7 key to activate (if it's not automatically activated during installation).

helppls101

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Wow, thank you guys for your quick replies!

Sadly, I think I might still have a problem due to my naivity. As my current computer was bought from a PC builder website rather than built by myself, Windows 7 was already installed on the HDD, I do not have the Windows 7 Disc itself. Is the License key for my Windows 7 the same as what is on the sticker on the side of my computer that says Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-***** ?

Also, in regards to installing Windows 10 on my SSD through a USB.. so the steps I should follow are:

1) Download Media Creation Tool from Microsofts website

2) Create a Windows 10 installation 'file' for a USB

3) Build the computer

4) With only the SSD connected, connect the USB with the Windows 10 installation file.

5) Install Windows 10 on the SSD using the USB

6) Enter my Windows 7 25-digit product key

7) Complete Installation of Windows

8) Enjoy Windows 10?

Thanks again for your help, I think that this thread will help many other people as well! :)

USAFRet

Titan
Reading back...
As you are making a whole new PC, this will not work.

The Windows 10 Upgrade does not generate a whole new second license for free.
Your existing PC is using Win 7. You can Upgrade this, in that original PC. You can't use that same license on a whole new PC.

You need to purchase a whole new OS license for your new PC.

helppls101

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Thanks for your reply, yes this is what I feared might be the case :(

So both of my suggested methods will fail?

1) Ideally, I want to build my new computer, install my current HDD, then let Windows 7 get the drivers for all of the new hardware. After that I install my new SSD and activate the upgrade for Windows 10, I select to install it on the SSD rather than the HDD. Does this method allow me to install Windows 10 on my SSD?

2) If this method is not viable, is it possible to put all the data (Operating System included) from my HDD on my SSD (perhaps by cloning?), boot using the SSD as the primary drive instead of the HDD, and then upgrade to Windows 10 on the SSD and leave the HDD with Windows 7?

USAFRet

Titan

1. No.
2. No.

Select and purchase all the parts for your new PC. One of those 'parts' needs to be the OS.
Build it, and install the OS on the drive in that new PC.

helppls101

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
1. Why not?
2. Why not?

So it seems Microsoft aren't really offering a free upgrade, more like a free teaser of Windows 10 as they know that peoples HDDs are going to be obsolete soon anyway. I guess this is an anti-piracy measure, even though they have their own version of malware installed in Windows 10 that collects an obsurd amount of personal information. Perhaps even with the free offer, it is not worth an upgrade anyway.

Is it possibile to build my new computer, and clone my HDD with Windows 7 on it to my new SSD? Will that work fine with all of the new components?

USAFRet

Titan

1. It's a free Upgrade, for that particular PC. Not a free second OS for a new PC.
Think of it as Win 7 SP2, or Win 8.1 SP2.

You can move that OS to a new drive (SSD) in that same system, no problem. You can't do it with a whole new PC.

2. That would also be generating a 'second OS'.
One or the other, Win 7 or 10. Not both.

helppls101

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
1. It's a free Upgrade, for that particular PC. Not a free second OS for a new PC.
Think of it as Win 7 SP2, or Win 8.1 SP2.

You can move that OS to a new drive (SSD) in that same system, no problem. You can't do it with a whole new PC.

2. That would also be generating a 'second OS'.
One or the other, Win 7 or 10. Not both.

I can understand Microsoft not wanting me to have both Win 7 and 10. I would gladly accept just Windows 10 on my SSD in exchange for getting rid of Windows 7 on my HDD, as this is how I think an upgrade should work. Is there any method for this to be possible? I plan to use my current HDD for storage soon, so if I had Win 10 on my SSD, I wouldn't want Win 7 still on my HDD anyway.

Thanks again you have been very helpful :)

USAFRet

Titan

From your original:
"Building an entirely new computer..."

The Win 7 license on your current PC...is this an OEM license? Probably.
If so, that is tied to that original motherboard.
If it is a Retail license, it can be moved to a new system. Leaving your old system without an OS.

For a new PC, the OS is just another part, like the CPU, RAM, GPU, whatever. It needs to fit in the budget just like the rest.

Solution