Monitor says cable not connected but it is

Tony_114

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
Hello guys. I just put together a new case and when i boot my monitor it says cable not connected. What could be the issue? I have an nvidia gtx 645 graphic card

Solution

bitwright

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Make sure the monitor is on the correct input. If your mobo has a video out port, make sure that you connected your monitor to your graphics card and not your motherboard, then go into the BIOS and disable the integrated GPU. If all that doesn't work, try another cable.

Tony_114

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
It is in the correct input it cant be the cable because i connected the laptop to my monitor and it works. Would getting a vga to hdmi cable and try connecting it to the mobo work? Theres also a hdmi slot in my graphic card so i maybe i should try getting a hdmi cable an try it

bitwright

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
Just to be sure, you are connecting your cable to one of the outputs on the graphics card and not on the motherboard, right?

If that is the case, then it is possible that your bios is set up to display though the video output on the motherboard instead of through the video card. You can try clearing the CMOS to see if that will fix it. If not, you will likely have to hook your monitor up to the mobo temporarily while you set stuff up.

Don't use a VGA to HDMI cable. Those cables don't convert the signal from analog to digital. You will need to get a converter to go from HDMI to VGA and vice versa. HDMI and DVI use the same video signal though, so you could use an HDMI to DVI cable or adapter if your monitor does not have an HDMI port but has a DVI port.

Just so I know, what cable are you using to connect your monitor? From the sound of things, I'm guessing DVI?

Tony_114

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

I got it to work by hooking the pc to the tv using hdmi to hdmi connected to the mobo. I can get into bios setting but i cant see an option to change the display to the gpu instead of the mobo. The options are auto igfx or discrete. Since i have a gpu installed i shud see a pci option i think.
Would getting this work

https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Gold-Plated-Converter-Adapter-Desktop/dp/B016HL4CAY/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469217359&sr=1-4&keywords=vga+to+hdmi

bitwright

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

igpx = integrated graphics (graphics on chip/mobo)
discrete = discrete graphics card (your video card)

Since you have it set to auto, your mobo is picking igpx by default. Set it to discrete and it should work. If it does not, your video card may be seated incorrectly (which may be why your mobo isn't automatically switching to it), so try reseating it.

Once you have video coming out of your graphics card you may want to consider going back into the bios and disabling integrated graphics entirely. If the option to disable igpx is not in the same menu you mentioned, it might be listed under embedded peripherals or integrated peripherals or some advanced options somewhere in the bios.

Solution

Tony_114

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

I tried setting it to discrete but it keeps changing back to auto and only boot drom the mobo and not the gpu. I tried to reseat my gpu but no luck. What else could be issue?

bitwright

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

That's odd. It's possible that the video card or the pci-e slot on the mobo broke. I would try resetting the bios, if you haven't already; if you're lucky this might just be a corrupt config. Also try cleaning the contacts on the video card and cleaning out the pci-e slot, it's possible dirt or something is keeping the card from making a good connection.

If neither of those work, you are probably looking at a hardware issue. If possible, try swapping the video card with a different one you know works, and/or try the video card out in a different PC. You might also want to check if you bent any pins in the CPU socket when you put your PC together.

Tony_114

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016

I really appreciate your efforts to helping me. I managed to fix it. My gpu wasnt pushed all the way in. Silly me!