Can I "park" Windows 10 upgrades on virtual machines for later use?

xoiio

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hey all, so decommissioning some older computers that will most likely be tossed in the trash without any other thought, I grabbed some of the product keys, just pictures sadly as they are so old they are ready to fall apart, and are basically impossible to remove.

I only have one other computer ATM that I can do an upgrade leaving me with three or four other keys that should be valid for an upgrade.

I can't recall if windows 10 locks the upgrade to the BIOS/motherboard of the computer you install it on, so I'm wondering if I can use some VM's on my server to "park" these upgraded windows keys, basically install windows 10 with the windows 7 key as you normally would, to save them for use later on other physical machines.

xoiio

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Oh really? Damn.

Another question then, since my personal laptop (well, one of them) has windows 10 home, can I use the pro windows 7 key to upgrade?

This thing came from asus with 8 home on it, and I do want pro to connect to hyper v on my server, but I don't want to screw up the original licensing, if that would even happen. Maybe it will just replace the original like windows 7 does, and I should record the old one with produkey.

The way windows 10 attaches to hardware is still a bit cloudy for me lol

You might be able to, but you'll likely need to reinstall windows offline for it to hold. There was a bug that I'm not sure is fixed yet that prevented upgrades that way.

As for connecting to hyper-v on the server, as long as your VMs have remote desktop enabled you can connect to them on ANY version of windows, even home, though RDP

xoiio

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Yeah, I'd just like the cleaner interface using hyper v itself, not as much to remember and I mess with the vm's a lot, I also want to learn higher level IT skills.

Problem is I can't connect to my server lol, entered my username and password and it spat out an error about checking that I am authorized to connect, however when I try to put in another user account, it says the name is not valid, even though I set that as an admin account on my server.

Did you remember to use <VM domain>\<username> or <username>@<vmdomain> ? Most likely you're just misconfiguring the names

xoiio

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Tried setting the username on the client as Administrator@WORKGROUP, it asks me if I want to enable delegation of user credentials to my server since this one is not configured to do so, I click yes, and it says that it can not be enabled, i need to enable credSSP, however when I choose no, it also says I need credSSP lol, so going to enable that, once I find out how.

xoiio

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Ah god so think I figured it out, found another guide that had the formatting in a more sensible way, I tried running this:

Enable-WSManCredSSP -Role Client -DelegateComputer DL380-G6, however it spat out a whole lot of red text, apparently it could not connect, but i think i just need to set the server as a server with this command.

edit: nope, no joy, uhg. It's been a really long day so calling it a night and will try again tomorrow with a fresh mind.