Swapping over motherboards Will my Windows 10 deactivate ?!?

G

Okay , I have 2 pc's both have the free updates to windows 10.......but I need to swap over some hardware between the 2 , each version of windows will end up the others motherboard.

I know it sounds a bit odd , but one is my gaming system and one is my work PC , but need to swap some parts around for a better configuration for gaming etc.....both systems had the same manufactures motherboard in it but it was a different model with better components for overclocking etc.

SOOO my big question is will both my windows 10 updates become deactivated because of the change of both motherboards ? both systems are currently running fine , I have done a update on one of the windows 10 systems and It did not ask if I had changed hardware etc......OR will that come at a later date , Bit concerned as it is close to the 29th of July .

Both systems are dual booting 7 and 10 , would I be just as well to update the windows 7 to windows 10 again with the update disc , it is a bit of a pain , but I don't want to end up spending on a windows 10 licence for a simple change around of some hardware !!

Solution
In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

worst thing that will happen is you have to fill out a troubleshooter once win 10 installed again.

to get this you should dl a new copy of the media creation tool and make a new ISO with the latest version of win 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't think it will happen as you imagine. The licence for PC is matched to motherboard so since both boards have activated a copy of win 10 already, when you reinstall them they should just reactivate. You can swap parts around as much as you like I think. Sure, if you change all the parts around it may require reactivation but Microsoft changing how reactivation works next month so its hard to be certain.

the way licencing works is different on 10, every Windows 10 home PC has a generic key, its not unique like before. Instead there is a database that includes the details of your PC on a Microsoft server, Win 10 will check that server upon reinstall and see if your pc is on the list. if you haven't changed too much it should just auto activate.

when you install win 10, and get to point where it asks for key, you just click an option that says "I don't have a key" and win 10 will go do that check once its installed. There is a chance you may need to contact Microsoft once its installed but the means to do that will present itself in windows itself

Do you want to keep win 7 as well as 10? If they are using different licences you should be able to. You cannot run win 7 and 10 at same time based on a single licence.

Your license for windows 10 is stored on Microsoft Servers under some sort calculated hardware signature. The signature is calculated and server is checked both motherboards will have a windows 10 licence. Minor changes in hardware will not change the calculation. Windows 7 on the other hand, I would expect both licenses to have to be transferred to the new motherboards.

Colif

Win 11 Master
depending on how much the swap around, it would be smarter to reinstall both OS as there might be driver problems otherwise. As such, just make sure win 7 licences match the motherboard they on now, and it should be okay.

G

Hi , Thank you both for you great advice , it has given me peace of mind , Thankfully both sets of hardware are almost the same , other than the motherboard , both are from Gigabyte and both from almost the same range , but one board has better heatsinks and also the other type of SSD slot on the motherboard (forget the name of the slot) .

So that is good news , both systems are running perfectly , I think 1 driver update was required , the rest was no problem.

How often does Windows 10 check activation is correct , Ideally I hope it is straight away upon boot up and connection to the internet , as both windows are appear to be working just fine , one of the systems I have done a windows 10 update check , a few files where download loaded and applied , I checked Windows 10 was still activated and yes no issues.

But please let me know how often windows 10 checks the activation please or when , so I can relax and then think !!! Job Done !!! :) :)

I don't think Microsoft publishes the info on how often it checks the activation or keys but it does put a log entry in. I saw the entry yesterdAy when. I used Microsoft message analyzer to look at log events. I noticed the entry because it came up shortly after I had cleared all of the logs. It was not what I was looking for so I did not really look at it other than note that it said all of my licenses were ok and there were a lot more licenses than I expected. (App licenses)

G

Fingers crossed , all appears to be working fine at the moment.....hopefully no need to re-activate or mess around swapping over motherboards to match the original hardware etc in the near future

G

Okay , Bit of a issue , My windows 10 system , that has been working great updates etc , the motherboard has gone faulty .

So I have RMA the board back to the supplier , they will replace with the exact same motherboard.....

Will this cause a issue with my current windows 10 , upgraded for free from windows 7 ?

The only difference in the hardware will be the same motherboard but it will of course have a different serial number....which is what I believe based on previous replies above , that Windows 10 uses the serial number of the motherboard of authentication ..........

Will windows see this motherboard that is like for like same model , some manufacturer etc as a reason to stop my Windows 10 from working ? all my other hardware , right down to keyboard , mouse , HD , case , CPU etc will all be exactly the same kit , it is not a upgrade , just a the same motherboard been swapped over for a replacment working one. !!

Colif

Win 11 Master
In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

worst thing that will happen is you have to fill out a troubleshooter once win 10 installed again.

to get this you should dl a new copy of the media creation tool and make a new ISO with the latest version of win 10.

Solution
G

Hi Thank you for your reply, I was not going to re-install windows , as windows is still running fine , it is just a faulty board , am I likely to have to re-authenticate via Microsoft help line ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
There is a troubleshooter you can run once win 10 reinstalled. It will let you link the new computer to your digital entitlement. Just look at the link I gave you above, it shows how. You shouldn't have to call Microsoft.

G

Okay I have hit a snag my Windows was working perfectly but I had to replace my motherboard , now Windows 10 says I do not have a valid licence , I follow the links for help , it takes me to a page that states " if you have changed e.g a motherboard " you can run through troubleshooting......BUT it is only for version 1607 , I am running version 1511 , Will my unactivated version of Windows 10 , still update to version 1607 , so I can run the troubleshooting to re-activate my licence ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You are going to have to contact Microsoft.

right click This PC on desktop and choose properties
in next screen, down bottom of screen should be Activation
there should be a link in here to contact them and one of the options is by phone.

Explain to them your situation, and its likely they will fix the activation up for you since you got exact same motherboard, .

you can download the latest version of Win 10 from here, just click update now and it will download the update assistant which installs latest version. Think you still need to ring MS as the troubleshooter to link hardware only works if you did it on previous motherboard first.

G

Hi Thank you for your reply....only issue is, I am running version 1511 , the option to call them is only valid according to the Microsoft website if running 1607 , but Windows 10 says I am up to date ! no option for troubleshooting , like you described .... I shall try the windows 10 update link , Can I just run it and it will download etc , but ideally I do not want to wipe my system clean and start again . Thank you for all your help :)

TRENDING THREADS