What version of windows 10 is this?

ALEXPREDATOR

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Hello, i recently went on the Microsoft website and downloaded the windows 10 installation tool. Upon installation it asked me what version of windows i prefer and the options were.
Windows 10
Windows 10 home single language
I picked "Windows 10". Now my question is, if i were to buy a product key how am i supposed to know if it'll be home or pro if it just says "Windows 10". Please help

Solution

Windows 10 will install but not activate if you upgrade from an unactivated Windows 7. There is no key for the Windows 10 upgrade only the Full pack Windows 10 retail and OEM .

USAFRet

Titan

When you buy a 50" TV, do you buy it in the store for $500, or do you buy one, in a box that you can't open to verify, from some dude in the parking lot for $60?

Just yesterday here, there was a guy with one of those $30 license keys.
Won't let him reinstall and activate.
$30, and a lot of aggravation, down the tubes.

USAFRet

Titan

And when it talks to home base at Microsoft, and returns 'not genuine'...

Bottom line - the OS costs what it costs. We'd all like it to be less expensive.
But it isn't.

I want to add back to the original issue as I recently did a windows 10 download, sorry for the backtrack.

when you start to install windows it is like the third thing it will ask you if you want to install "home" or "pro" the download from Microsoft contains both versions. make sure you select the version your key is for or u will have issues.

the option you are seeing is indeed if you want to download the multi language or single language version.

ALEXPREDATOR

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
will this work? get on a windows 7 pc. do free upgrade. copy that windows 10 and paste it into an ssd? plug ssd into other pc. if i do this will i have windows 10 without having to use a key? or it wont work?

will not work windows will see the change in hardware and know that it doesn't match the hardware it was installed on.