moving windows 10 to ssd from hard drive

caymwin

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
I want to move windows 10 from my hard drive to my ssd but i also want to wipe my hard drive so that i can just reinstall all my games and programs on a fresh drive. I bought my pc from cyberpower with windows 8.1 on it but upgraded it to windows 10. I dont have any cd or anything that was used for installing windows . Everyone says i just create a boot drive usb then disconnect my hard drive and install the usb to the ssd alone but what i dont know is how to clear the hard drive so that i dont have 2 copies of windows on my computer after i reconnect the hard drive.

could anyone please walk me through what to do? Im just worried that i may end up with a problem that causes me to have to go buy another windows key from bestbuy or somewhere.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Solution
Your case should have a sticker on it for windows - that is your key.

Microsoft offers the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool for free, and will walk you through creating a bootable USB key - it will handle all the hard parts.

After that you just have to format the HDD, no problem at all.

caymwin

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

i got a new case...

USAFRet

Titan

Since your system has already been Upgraded to Win 10, no problem.
Go here and download the MediaCreation tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Use this to make a DVD or USB. Either will work.

Once you have that, power off.
Disconnect all other drives except the new SSD
Boot from that install thing you made, and install the OS on the SSD
When it asks for the license key, skip
When the install is all done....reboot a couple of times, verifying your boot order. Just to make sure
Run all the current Updates
Later, reconnect the old HDD
To wipe it completely, DBAN. (just formatting it leaves behind the original boot partitions)
Then, use as desired.

Solution